Fuel Tank Replacement

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Fuel tanks… mine is on the outside pretty rough, and I have yet to cast a gaze inside, but I think I want to bypass this tank all together due to how bad the outside is. Aside from Catalina Direct, where can I get a new fuel tank? Does Ronco make fuel tanks? And I would prefer a poly tank over SS or Aluminum.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
They seem to be the only source I have been able to find. My question is, with their tanks, how do I get a 90 degree elbow for the inlet?

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
You may have to get creative - I was able to get everything hooked up but it took some work.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
My question is, with their tanks, how do I get a 90 degree elbow for the inlet?
Mike, you have a very popular boat, and ALL Catalina yachts have active owners associations. You should familiarize yourself with www.c36ia.org. Their Commodore lives in Washington State and is a friend of mine, Les Troyer, who is sometimes active right here on sbo. A friend of jssalem, too. You do not have to reinvent the bloody wheel. :yikes:

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Mike, you have a very popular boat, and ALL Catalina yachts have active owners associations. You should familiarize yourself with www.c36ia.org. Their Commodore lives in Washington State and is a friend of mine, Les Troyer, who is sometimes active right here on sbo. A friend of jssalem, too. You do not have to reinvent the bloody wheel. :yikes:
Lol, not trying to reinvent wheels, that’s why I’m trying to see what others have done with that fitting. I found a 27 gallon tank that is slightly longer but all and all the same width and height as my current tank, but it has a vertical inlet, I need a 90 degree inlet. The tank is a Moeller 032527. I could go even longer as there is room for that. but for now, the fitting is my catch.

Again this is going on a growing list of things I need to save up for. Imma not even going to attempt to drink water out of the current water tanks and am most likely going to simply replace both. One is damaged and allows water to leak out, and with the rat piss everywhere I’m afraid some prolly got in. So all 3 tanks are getting replaced.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
As @Stu Jackson wisely suggests, using the Catalina organization http://www.c36ia.org/ would be a great way to discover tricks specific to the boat you have.

Without familiarization with your creative thinking (that is a positive in your kind of task) suggestions are likely to be random. My tanks are steel, and positioned beneath the cabin sole on either side of the keel. Putting the fuel in a great location on the boat. Your 36 does not have the room for tankage nor was the boat built with long motor cruising utilization considered in the design.

Thus the need for creativity.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Lol, not trying to reinvent wheels, that’s why I’m trying to see what others have done with that fitting.
All John and I are suggesting to you, Mike, is that to solve your Catalina 36 issue, GO TO the folks who own nothing but Catalina 36s. It seems to us that they would have the most familiarity with the physical constraints of that particular boat.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Just curious ... why do you want a poly tank and what's your aversion to an aluminum tank? I agree, stainless is unnecessary for fuel tank. I've found that a local tank fabricator is the best way to get a custom-sized tank made in aluminum and stainless. I've had an aluminum fuel tank and a stainless water tank made, using custom sizing to get some extra gallonage for my Starwind in the past. They didn't break the budget at all. The nice thing about it was the fittings can be made in any configuration you like. Perhaps I was lucky to have a good tank fabricator who was local, but I suspect that a good fabricator can be found in most locales. BTW, I avoided the poly tanks primarily because I couldn't find a source for custom sizes, and even Ronco doesn't fit all situations.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Having been an auto mechanic for many years I have found the poly tanks on modern vehicles to simply last longer and be more durable than the older metal versions. I agree that the locations of fittings is better and more customizable on metal tanks, but I’m hoping for some type of solution in poly. I’m not sure if there is a fabricator near me, but in all honesty I have not looked.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Poly is a viable answer. The tanks on my boat were installed 49 years ago. They appear still to be serviceable. They are made of steel and painted. 85 gallons each. Located on either side of the keel. Your poly would be much lighter. Fitted within the seats on either side of the mast might serve well. You could run the fuel line’s back to the engine beneath the cabin sole.

You might also find space beneath the stern bed. Not sure. I found that rear bunk too tight to sleep. I’d convert it to all storage if it was me.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
On my Catalina, the fuel tank is aluminum and the 2 water tanks are poly. I wish they made the access port at least an inch greater in diameter. I can't get my hand thru without skinning the nuckle of my thumb on the threads and it takes forever to heal. Also, I can reach my hand down far enough to clean the discharge port on one tank but not the other. My forearm doesn't fit and I can't quite reach far enough! I can't get Sue to do this job, either, even thought her small hands and arms would fit nicely!