Fuel tank removal question

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marcus

I pulled my Racor filter today-bad news. The PO ignored this problem big time. The filter is filled with an ugly green sludge. Two issues: Should I pull the tank and have it cleaned professionally? Should I replace the filter, rather than try and clean it? TIA (maybe I actually will sail before summer is over)

P

Pete

fuel tank/filter sludge

Marcus, there is no reason to replace the fuel filter housing, it can be cleaned.Replace it if you want to upgrade to a large unit or different style.You may not have to pull the fuel tank maybe your marina can "polish" the fuel (super filter it and clean tank)I would change the filter itself after cleaning the housing and change it again after running the engine for several hours.If after all this you still have sludge you may need to relpace the fuel lines etc. Having done all this I sure you will treat fuel and keep up with maintance,to bad for you the previous owner did not.

E

Eric Swift

Look at other posting

Look at the other posting on the page "Diesel tank cleaning tomorrow" as well as articles in the archieves. Lots of info on all the options for the H34. Good luck

B

Bob La Salle

Try this first

I have a 1985 Hunter 31 (Yanmar 2GM20F). I had a problem with dirty fuel and dirty fuel filters. I bought a hand pump, had a friend help me drain a few gallons of bad diesel fuel from the bottom of the tank (that's usually where it goes). I used clear plastic tubing so we could see what was coming out as we pumped out the fuel tank. I drained about five gallons out from the bottom of the fuel tank and now all appears to be well. However, I have learned my lesson and will now treat my fuel regularly with biocide, conditioner, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.