Fuel Tank pickup- Why is it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jon Bastien

...designed the way it is? Hi everyone, I was just reading a few posts about diesel tanks and the miscellaneous dirt/water/growth/schtuff that forms in the bottom of them, and an odd question hit me- Why are most tanks outfitted with a pickup inserted from the top of the tank, rather than a fitting for a fuel line at the bottom of the tank (like many water or waste tanks)? It seems to me that, if the fuel line connected to the bottom of the tank, then the water that accumulates could find its way to a seperator, and the dirt/crud/little nasties that accumulate in the bottom of the tank would end up in a filter. With the fuel line connected at the bottom of the tank, the nasties could be easily removed during routine maintenance and inspection, rather than sloshing around in the bottom of a tank until someone gets around to cleaning it. The only reason I can think of for not doing this is the potential for a leak around this fitting. One potential solution for this problem is to use a 'riser tube', as seen on many portable gas cans. On the gas cans, the tube is molded to bottom of tank, and comes up the sideof the can with a fitting at the top of the tube {at the same level as the top of the can), and thus draws from bottom of tank rather than from 1' up. Is there something I'm missing? Is there a reason people need to leave 1" or so of 'fuel' in the bottom of their tanks? ...Did I just stumble on an opportunity to make a pile of $$ for a better diesel tank design? ;o) Hmmmmmmm... --Jon Bastien H23/H25 (neither of which have diesel tanks - Go figure!)

Status
Not open for further replies.