Fuel tank linkage

May 21, 2008
Alden Challenger Portland
Having now removed the fuel tank tops and cleaned up all the threads and the fuel varnish from the bottom of the after part of both tanks I wondered how the fuel transfers from the port to starboard side of the tank.I expected to see a connecting passage between the after parts of the tanks so that all the fuel can be used whatever the sea state but the only interconnecting passage was forward of the centreboard trunk.Does anybody know if this is correct as it looks as if you will never be able to suck up all the fuel with only one suction pipe on the starboard side unless I make a linked suction pipe from each side which means I just have to tap another hole into the port tank and suck fuel from both at once.

Philip Dann

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Interesting Phil. This is all new to me, I've never been inside my tanks, yet. I wish I could help but there are photos of other tank work here. Can you take any photos to post of your tanks?

May 21, 2008
Hi Tom,I actually took some photo`s yesterday but am having problems transferring them to this computer to post them so I am not sure they will show enough detail so I may take some more today or tomorrow.I shall search the photo`s on this site and see whether they show enough detail to see what other boats have,but my tanks have obviously been used for a long time going by the amount of residue I have had to scrape out,diesel varnish etc.,but as they were dry of fuel apart from half an inch of water at the rear of both sides I assume they worked in some way,but it is at least 14 years since they were used last.
I may try putting some water into one side and see whether it gets through what may be intended as a passage at the rear of the tanks but may be just be a rough bit of molding.
Having found lots of rust on the inside of the tank lids,I would suggest that although its a lengthy job that you do remove all the lids at some time,sooner rather than later as the amount of loose material in my tanks would have clogged innumerable filters and always at the wrong time I am sure,due to the rust on the tank lids.
I will let you know what I find.

Phil Dann

Jun 28, 2004
Hi Phil,
Here are a couple of photos that might be of interest. First is the split keel bolt nut that I found in the tank. The replacement is next to it. There was a light seepage of diesel from the keel-hull joint in the region of this keel bolt in the past. It occurred over the winter while the boat was sitting on its keel. I guessed at the time that the weight compressed the keel-hull joint enough to allow a little seepage. After seeing the missing nut I realized that this may have contributed as well. In any event, there is no longer any seepage.
The second picture shows the port aft tank interior, looking aft. The tube is a pickup tube I threaded into the fiberglass floor that serves as a tube for pumping out the last bit of fuel (and any water) that might be in the tank. It is cut at an angle, and extends to the very bottom. It also serves as a dipstick hole for checking fuel.
To the left of the tube, in the corner, you can just make out a 1/4 circle cutout (about 1+ inch radius) in the center wall of the tank. This lets fuel flow between the two tanks, albeit not to rapidly.

Rick

Attachments

May 21, 2008
Hi Rick,
Thanks very much for your information, and pictures, I would never have seen the small hole linking the after part of the tanks without your pointing it out. I have taken some pictures of mine, not terribly clear, and you may be able to see a slightly rough portion where the hole on your tanks are. I would think that this may have got filled in when the boat was built but there may be a very small hole or crack where the hole should be. I now feel happy to poke around in that area and open up anything I find. Then I have the enormous job of cleaning the tanks as best I can and I'm still inclined to epoxy the insides and the tank lids before I reassemble all the parts again. This will probably be when the weather gets warmer. Thanks again for solving my problems, my only worry now is whether the keel bolts are sound, but without dropping the keel I'm not sure how I would inspect them. Any ideas? Thanks again

Phil Dann

PS: I was not able to upload the pictures, I might try again later.