Fuel Prep vs Biobor JF

Dec 8, 2017
Hunter 326 Dana Point
I had my fuel tank cleaned and the diesel polished today. Am I glad I got that done. I figured it would need cleaning, but I had no idea how bad it could be. The test samples (from the bottom of the tank) were almost black and full of chunks of crud.

When I mentioned using Biobor to the polisher, he said there was a better product, called Fuel Prep. According to him it's more stable than Biobor and more difficult to over treat. A quick search on SBO didn't return anything with "fuel prep", so I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has heard of it or has experience with it.

Thanks, Richard

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I found exploring the science of the fuel problem helpful. One source of understandable information is the testing completed by Practical Sailor.

This might be a place for you to start. Then you can form your own intelligent decision. Rather than hear from some of us old salts.

I have not heard of Fuel Prep.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I have no idea what he means.
  • Fuel Prep is a not a biocide, and thus direct comparison to Biobor JF is imposible. They serve different purposes.
  • Have him define stability. As far as I know, Biobor JF has a nearly infinite shelf life (decades). I am also uncertain what the negative effects of over treatment are supposed to be. He should say and provide some backup. Biobor has been around a long time, so that sort of statement requires evidence IMO.
Fuel Prep is made by Penray Corp., which is a well established company, formerly a division of Nalcool. They make many excellent products and provide factory fill coolants for many truck and marine applications.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Sloppy on my part. Yup it contains a thioazole, like a number of others.

But I still think the polisher needs to provide backup. I have tested both groups of biocides, I've used both in industry, and the differences seemed immeasurable. I suspect it is just what he uses, and I suspect it is very good.

Personally, I've used polishers in industry, and the results have been relatively poor, or at least temporary. In the end, we cleaned the tanks and got a fresh start. That was the solution.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
@ Thinwater: My post wasn't a dig at your reply. Just put it up for information.

Always appreciate your input on fuel issues.