Fuel Gauge Type?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
That is not a photo of my panel, and honestly, I don’t know if mine has that toggle on it.

If it does, I do know I have never used it!

Probably turns on a magic fuel gauge that we never knew was on the panel. :)

Greg

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
LOL!
I found a better picture. It says “Illumination: on, off, check”
As I don’t sail at night, I wouldn’t need that, but I’ll check to see if that’s what it does. Bulb's probably burned out though.

Jan 7, 2011
Funny, maybe mine has it too. I sail at night som, but don’t generally need to see the engine panel.

Greg

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
This shows the bolt hole pattern -
http://www.wemausa.com/instructions/sending_unit_gasket_hole_pattern.shtml
Like Gene said, the holes are not evenly spaced. The size of the drilled holes varies a little from one manufacturer to another, but the pattern should be the same on all of the US style senders.

There are two different electrical configurations of sender/gauge on boats. There is the US standard & the European standard. Electrically, the way that the resistance moves going from full tank to empty is backwards between the two. I don't remember the actual ohm ranges. I don't remember if the European senders use the same bolt pattern or not.

If the gauge works more or less backwards, you may have a wiring problem or you may have a mismatched component.

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
I was able to put my digital meter on the gauge, and move the marker around with a magnet and the ohms changed. Looks like it is working pretty well, so will get an electronic gauge and mount it.

Is there an easy way to get power from the engine control panel for the electronic gauge. I would only want it on when the engine key is in run position.

I have a Yanmar 2GM20 and the panel looks pretty close to this one...
https://goo.gl/images/y2FjiJ

Greg
There's not usually a lot of spare wire length behind the panel, but I was able to cut the wire coming off the back of the key switch that is live only when the key is on, and use a "step up" butt connector to splice in a power lead to run to the the gauge. I did the same for the backlight for my new fuel gauge (from the panel light switch). I then unscrewed the buzzer from the panel, zip tied it to some wiring in behind the panel to keep it safe and installed a new fuel gauge in hole where the buzzer was. The Buzzer is so loud on it's own, I can hear it just fine when it's behind the panel.

20180429_131725.jpg

Chris

Jan 7, 2011
There's not usually a lot of spare wire length behind the panel, but I was able to cut the wire coming off the back of the key switch that is live only when the key is on, and use a "step up" butt connector to splice in a power lead to run to the the gauge. I did the same for the backlight for my new fuel gauge (from the panel light switch). I then unscrewed the buzzer from the panel, zip tied it to some wiring in behind the panel to keep it safe and installed a new fuel gauge in hole where the buzzer was. The Buzzer is so loud on it's own, I can hear it just fine when it's behind the panel.

View attachment 157381

Chris
Neat idea.

Thanks Chris.

Greg

Jan 2, 2017
Thanks walmsleyc (and Gene) for identifying the part.

Jan 2, 2017
Sure, Greg.
Moeller Marine Mechanical Fuel Tank Sender (10" Deep Tanks) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MTCRAU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_kNOYBb5H9RZZ5
is the whole thing. You can get just the dial, but as I said I could not separate the old one so I just replaced the whole thing.
It doesn’t say so but it comes with a gasket, so you don’t need to order that.
Save your existing five bolts because the new ones are different.

Jan 2, 2017
Oh, I assume the depth of your tank is the same as mine. There are different models for different depths.

Jan 7, 2011
Ok. I don’t need a new in-tank gauge. Just the dial.

I am thinking about 1) just a new visual-read gauge or adding the electronic gauge at the engine control panel.

Truthfully, I don’t burn a tank of diesel in a season usually, so not a lot of reason to do anything.

But a new direct read gauge is a cheap, easy upgrade.

Greg

Jan 2, 2017
In my opinion, the low rate at which we burn fuel doesn’t warrant a control panel display. I’m into the lazarette continually anyway to stow gear, so an occasional peek at the (now readable) dial is all I need to do.

Jan 7, 2011
Mine came out fine, and I rested the resistance and it seems to be working. Biggest reason to hook up a remote electric gauge is I can’t see the one on the tank once I put stuff in the lazzarette.

But the new gauge would be a big improvemen.