Fuel filters and separators for outboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 21, 2011
Bristol 27 Baltimore
What do people think about the value of having an external fuel filter/separator like the Racor products? I have a Yamaha 9.9 that has been troublesome which I believe is mostly fuel problems.

Does the fuel pump have enough pull power to support the filter? And does it go above or below the primer bulb?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I think the use of a filter/separator would be dictated by wether the fuel tank is fixed or portable. Portable tanks are easier to maintain free of sediments, condensation and stale fuel. Every time you add a new component to a system there is an added degree of risk for problems or failure. Not only find out if your fuel pump is strong enough to support a new filter but also find out how many hours of use can be anticipated. A new fuel filter by virtue of its function will gradually start clogging up and the pressure required to keep the fuel flowing will increase obviously depending on how clean are the tank and fuel to start with.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Should be good

I think it would be a good idea, if you have an external tank. I would definately put it after the fuel primer bulb. Also you might consider going to a fairly large size on the filtration. There is no reason I could see for using a 10 micron filter. Your not worried about ruining an injector, and the jets even on a very small motor, are larger than say a 30 micron.

Aug 26, 2007
Hunter 41DS Ventura, California
I have run automotive inline filters on my outboards for years with no problems. Cheap and easy to replace as needed. You don't really need a water separator.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
whenever i have an outboard i use an external in line filter, as the gasoline is not clean by any stretch. has saved me a lot of aggravation as before filters i had to have the carb rebuilt every 2 weeks... fuel has been dirty for many many years, and there is no end in sight-- goood luck and fair winds....

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
Here's a picture I took at a boat show of a Walker Bay RIB with an external filter. You can see it screwed to the seat. It's before the bulb. I think the engine's a Honda 15. I did something similar on my RIB.

I would guess this can help a lot where there's ethanol in the fuel. Ethanol tends to separate out the water. The filter would trap it.

I've also heard that you should cover up the clear part of the filter bowl to keep UV from hurting the gasoline. Not sure if that's true but it just takes a piece of duct tape..

Carl

Attachments

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
Our Suzuki 5 HP has an inline filter inside, just before the fuel pump. Your outboard might too.

For small outboards and portable tanks, I don't think there's much point in having a fuel-water separator. If you have any water in your fuel, it's either because some water got in, or condensation in a nearly empty tank, or your gas is too old and has undergone phase separation. In all these cases... empty out the gas, clean the tank and fill with new gas.

I only use premium ethanol-free gas, with added stabilizer, and even though it might sit in the tank for a month during the summer, I've never had fuel problems. I avoid using gas left over from last season.

Dec 8, 2007
-mac 26M -26M tucson-san carlos mx
most all outboards already have both a filter and water seperator built into there system,which are both usually inspectable and easily replaceable,especially the new outboards that are fuel-injected. most fuel problems on outboards is not a problem of low quality or dirty fuel from the pump,but from user abuse after its been put in your tank.some simple safegaurds to prevent problems are always use fresh fue(less THEN 30 days old,pour old gas into your car)if you have an old O/B with carbs run them dry if its going to be more then a week until used again, and a stabilizer won't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.