Fuel filter/pump elevations?

May 8, 2014
sailboat about 37' SE US
What is the correct 'elevation sequence' for the fuel pump and racor filter relative to tank and engine?

Universal 5444, 4 cyl diesel

Fuel pump is one of those cylindrical Facet elec. pumps
Racor is the 500 FG filter/separator
Engine has its spin-on filter.
tank is a 50 gal tank aft of engine, pickup tube pulls from near bottom of tank.
Tank pickup has shutoff valve at tank.

Should everything be below tank level, above tank level or does it matter?
Fuel system is removed for remodel (new tank, hoses, etc...).

I believe the flow of fuel from tank as follows:
Tank --> racor --> facet pump --> engine (filter) --> injector pump on engine
it could have been . . .
Tank --> facet pump --> racor --> engine (filter) --> injector pump on engine

Thanks

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I believe the flow of fuel from tank as follows:
1...........Tank --> racor --> facet pump --> engine (filter) --> injector pump on engine
it could have been . . .
2.........Tank --> facet pump --> racor --> engine (filter) --> injector pump on engine
Definitely #1. There's a small filter in the bottom of the pump, so you want the Racor first.

Since you have a fuel "lift" pump, elevations don't matter. They call 'em lift pumps 'cuz some boats have fuel tanks in the bilge area.

May 8, 2014
sailboat about 37' SE US
Thanks Stu,

Would there be a problem if the fuel flowed up from the tank to the racor (~12" higher than tank top, then down (~12-16") to facet pump and on to engine? I want to put the racor up near the top (interior) of the cockpit locker so I an easily change filter. I also have a vacuum gauge in the vertical part of the cockpit foot well so it's easy to see.

Bleeding engine is easy. There is a knob on the injector pump that, when opened, allows facet to push fuel (and air) through all the lines back to the tank.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Would there be a problem if the fuel flowed up from the tank to the racor (~12" higher than tank top, then down (~12-16") to facet pump and on to engine? I want to put the racor up near the top (interior) of the cockpit locker so I an easily change filter.
What's different than this?:)

Since you have a fuel "lift" pump, elevations don't matter. They call 'em lift pumps 'cuz some boats have fuel tanks in the bilge area.

May 8, 2014
sailboat about 37' SE US
Yeah what you wrote did make sense. I guess my mind was foggy from being tired.

Thanks Stu.