Fuel Capacity of 2003 Beneteau 473

rbelau

Jun 29, 2014
Beneteau 47 Stonington, CT
We were very low on fuel so went to the dock to fill up. We took on 61.5 gallons of diesel. I happened to check our owners manual (2003 Beneteau 473) and it says the fuel tank capacity is 56 gallons. Was I ripped off by a poorly calibrated fuel pump, or is it possible a boat like this can take on an extra 5.5 gallons beyond the stated capacity?

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Was I ripped off by a poorly calibrated fuel pump
I would hope not.
Surely it is possible.
Perhaps there was a printing error in the manual.
Printed 56 but should have been 65 gallons. You may be able to find a spec number somewhere on the fuel tank. I know my tanks have a label identifying the tank volume.

It is a good time now to start a fuel log. You know you filled the tank. Keep track of the hours using fuel. Fill the tank again and you can identify the fuel use per hour. This will give you a reliable system to know your range in time and how soon you need to refuel.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
It is a good time now to start a fuel log. You know you filled the tank. Keep track of the hours using fuel. Fill the tank again and you can identify the fuel use per hour. This will give you a reliable system to know your range in time and how soon you need to refuel.
Been doing this for a while but I added a diesel heater and use it to make hot water. I haven't been good at keeping track of run time :(

rbelau

Jun 29, 2014
Beneteau 47 Stonington, CT
Unlikely to be a printing error in the manual. I first looked online, and all the websites that referenced specifications for my boat said 56 gallons. But I didn’t necessarily trust an online site, so I looked at the paper manual that came with the boat and it also said 56.

is it possible that the “plumbing” between the fuel opening on the deck and the fuel tank could hold several gallons? Or maybe the tank “rating” is a little less than actual?

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Or you filled it with US gallons and the capacity is in imperial gallons

Or the metering was bad

Or the manual is wrong

Or the tank is different

Or it is something else