FT-817

cjm1

Jul 10, 2013
custom Herreshoff 33 sloop Lake Charlevoix
Waiting for spring in the Great lakes and thinking it's time to put SSB on the boat. I was thinking of TS 50 type but now leaning toward FT-817. This is due mainly current drain on 33 Ft sail boat. I do a lot of anchoring out in northern Lake Michigan and Lake Huron and rely on just alternator and solar for power. Anybody have good results with this rig? Antenna is really not the problem here with a tall mast for rigging it. Tx John

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Hi John! Welcome aboard.

I moved your post because it deserves to have its own thread.

I don't have the 817 so I can't talk about it. But current draw is only a concern if you are using the rig all the time. Using it for a short time shouldn't be a problem. Although 20 amps on continuous key down could be a concern. Are you going to work SSB, CW, Digital, or what?

Aug 22, 2006
Hunter 31_83-87 Cape Coral
FT-817 - A great little radio

Hi John - I have an FT-817ND and I love it. It's small, light weight and does it all. I mainly use dipole ( 88 foot doublet), a PAR EDZ fed and a vertical from Super Antenna. I do not use the boat batteries - I have a Hunter 31 although I could. I carry a separate small UPS SLA battery and recharge with a portable suitcase solar charger. I have worked stations all over the world from Florida.
Don - KB0LPM

Waiting for spring in the Great lakes and thinking it's time to put SSB on the boat. I was thinking of TS 50 type but now leaning toward FT-817. This is due mainly current drain on 33 Ft sail boat. I do a lot of anchoring out in northern Lake Michigan and Lake Huron and rely on just alternator and solar for power. Anybody have good results with this rig? Antenna is really not the problem here with a tall mast for rigging it. Tx John

Oct 6, 2009
Custom Bluehull Kennesaw, Ga.
FT-817 will work just fine, I've set up my FT-857 ( its brother ) and also my FT-450 and both work fine. I just try to keep the power down. I think it's cool when you make a DX contact using less than 5 watts. Good luck and enjoy.