frugal port repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AL AUGUSTINE

i'm looking for some type of bracket that can be used to replace the plastic dogs on Beckson & Bomar plastic ports.i have seen some on another boat but the owner was not there so i couldn't get the info needed.someone said they may be for glass shelving ?? this is a common problem so a fix would help others .these are were the threaded rod and knob attech to hold the port closed. thanx

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Try a bimini part

Your local marine store will sell knobs with threaded rods that fit at least some ports. They will be located in the Bimini Top hardware section. I have seen ports fixed with these before. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

B

Bryan C.

Sources

If you are talking about the screw on knobs, you can get them from several sources, Bomar (www.pompanette.com) Beckson (www.beckson.com) or BoatUS or West Marine. Beckson makes a neat cam lock that you don't have to screw in and out everything, just pop the latch. I replaced all mine with them. Makes opening and closing the ports much more convenient. They are also available at BoatUS. But they are not cheap ($15 each?) and the threads are plastic, so I would investigate their strength before venturing out in really heavy weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.