Freshwater tank gauge?

Jul 8, 2015
Catalina 309 New Orleans, LA
New Cat 309 owner thread. Recently emptied out the freshwater tank and was refilling it. Fill port is on the bow, inside the chain locker.

Couple questions:

1) is there a recommended additive to keep your freshwater clean and pure?
2) is there was a freshwater tank level gauge anywhere on board.

If not;
3) can I view the freshwater tank to check it;s fill level?
4) is there a risk of over filling (aside from leakage around the fill line conections)?

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
1) Bleach. You can check various internet sites for the amount, but it is very little - Like a couple of ounces in 50 gallons of water. It will disperse in a few weeks

2) Not in my 310. I cannot imagine Catalina put one in the 309 as they were trying to reduce costs to compete.

3) My tank is located under the forward bunk with the fill in the same location as the 309. You can only get a general idea.

4) Over filling. I use the home-made filter that Practical Sailor showed how to make earlier this year when I fill. It does overflow sometimes. I don't see any issues here.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
Stay by the tank vent. As soon as you hear the first burble... Stop filling.
The only risk in overfilling is that the top "bung" is screw in and you could pop it loose and get a leak there
Peter

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
There is no gauge on the C309 to tell how full the tank is. you can buy gauge units to fit the tank but Catalina did not install one. I just fill mine until you can here it in the vent line. I think you can access the top of the tank under the V-berth cushions an the outlet valve behind the access door down by the floor.