Fresh water leak B40

GWG

May 3, 2010
Beneteau 40 LI Sound
I’ve been plagued by a freshwater leak that is draining my water tanks. The leak is noticeable as a trickle of water coming from the compartment outboard of the compartment containing the freshwater pump and valves. It’s just a trickle coming From forward and draining into a small limber hole which goes under the hot water tank and the valve compartment into the bilge. I traced Everything forward of that trickle along the starboard side of the hull where there are various freshwater pipes, all the way back to the forward Water tank and could find not a single wet spot. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I’ve been plagued by a freshwater leak that is draining my water tanks. The leak is noticeable as a trickle of water coming from the compartment outboard of the compartment containing the freshwater pump and valves. It’s just a trickle coming From forward and draining into a small limber hole which goes under the hot water tank and the valve compartment into the bilge. I traced Everything forward of that trickle along the starboard side of the hull where there are various freshwater pipes, all the way back to the forward Water tank and could find not a single wet spot. Any suggestions would be appreciated
The usual suggestion is to sprinkle some (baby) powder in the area. Water trickle will leave a rivulet where it has been/is going. Kind of like the Grand Canyon.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
If the fresh water pump does not kick on, then the leak is upstream at the tank or the hose from the tank to the pump. Does the pump start on its own when no one is drawing water?

Nov 11, 2018
Beneteau 45F5 6 Melbourne, Victoria
I too have a water leak somewhere. Pump takes care of the fresh water but I do need to find which out of the 4 tanks I have. I would be interestested to hear what you find.

Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 35s5 bristol ri
The pump is functioning properly. I'm not sure where it is.

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
I had a crack in the supply line between the water-intake port and the tank. I was very grateful it was just the supply hose and not the tank itself. I hope you find your problem as inexpensive and easy of a fix.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
Hose clamps where the supply line exits the water tank, or at the valves and plumbing near the water pump? Is this the flexible supply lines with Whale quick connectors? I tightened clamps on a couple of the connectors to stop a leak one time. Now that area is fine and I'm trying to replace o-rings and washers on the cheap-o transom shower hose.

And, in a different situation and boat, I found that after checking the water tanks through the inspection port, that I couldn't tighten the cover back down enough to compress the huge o-ring unless I let the o-ring set out in the sun to soften for a while. Whenever we would sail and heel with the water tank full, we'd end up with a mysterious leak.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 35s5 bristol ri
No, the pump does not kick on when no-one is using the water. It could be the O-ring on the inspection port I'll check that next.]

GWG

May 3, 2010
Beneteau 40 LI Sound
So all fresh water hoses and connections have been checked and nothing found leaking. The water appears to be coming from aft. It shows up, about a couple of gallons a day, even when the the fresh water system is depressurized. It shows up first in the aft bilge section in the main saloon, but can’t seem to access any sections further aft. Nothing under the engine. There’s no water in the bilge areas forward of the bilge pump. Still searching.