Freeze insurance?

Jul 7, 2004
8,542
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Is this new with boat insurance? Just got an email from BoatUS offering a rider. $25 per engine. Offer good until 10/31.
I just winterized mine on the water in prep for the temps headed our way. We're hoping for some November sailing still.

Did you know BoatUS Marine Insurance offers a special Ice & Freezing endorsement?

Get caught without enough cold weather coverage and you could have an unwelcome out of pocket expense. But for one low fee, we’ll cover freeze-related damage to your boat’s systems and engines. For as little as $25 per engine, you’ll know your boat is in good hands - no matter the weather.
Hurry - the deadline to add coverage is October 31, 2019!​
 
Jan 11, 2014
14,190
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
No, it has long been an offering of BoatUS insurance. It is not a lot of money and may be worth it. Read the fine print, I don't think it covers failure to winterize, just a winterize failure.
 
Jun 7, 2016
315
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
I always saw it as a scam. There's usually something in the fine print about how you have to prove it was done properly or something to that effect. Even if you had a professional shop do it they would just blame the shop.
 
Jan 7, 2011
6,000
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Probably like buying extended warranty coverage for a toaster... a major waste of money.

At least in my opinion....I always ask if they think the thing is so poorly made that I need the extra warranty....

Greg