Free chafe guard

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hey all
I ran across a Craigslist FREE ad for decommissioned fire hose. If you are in the area and need some chafe guard material for your dock lines…

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
The problem with fire hose is the lining. If it were just polyester braid it would be fine.
I read long ago that because it's waterproof it can allow the line to heat up enough to reduce fiber strength from repeated stretching in storm surges.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The problem with fire hose is the lining. If it were just polyester braid it would be fine.
I read long ago that because it's waterproof it can allow the line to heat up enough to reduce fiber strength from repeated stretching in storm surges.
I read that too.... I think it was either SAIL or Practicle Sailor ... they looked at lines that had failed during a storm and in some the fibers looked like they had melted.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You do not need chafe protection of that to happen. I had new dock lines survive a night of high winds. The pressure of the boat on the lines caused some of the core fibers to be stretched. Next time I am up on the boat I’ll pull it out and take a picture.
Clearly, to me, the lines are not as strong as they were when needed that stormy night.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Fire Hose is built with three parts, an inner hose, an outer hose and a waterproof membrane hose in the middle. They are not bonded together, but simply lay inside each other. Just use the inner or the outer for a good chafe guard. It would be the same as what they sell at most Marine stores as chafe guard for 30-80 bucks.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I didn't even sleep at a Motel 6 last night but it seems to me that most wind storms also have rain. Rain should keep the line cool. Chafe guards may disable that. Maybe chafe guards should be permeable to rain. Yeah, there are dry gales. There is no perfect.