Fractional vs Masthead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Only problem with that...

...if I'm standing in waist deep water, my boat is hard aground and lying 50* over. Maybe this works for dingys? Another option for boats with a little more draft, have all boats anchored at the start line with halyards off. At the gun, haul anchor and attach halyards and hoist sails. The guys/gals with the roller furling are going to be at a distinct advantage.

Jul 21, 2005
N/A N/A N/A
It was in fact a dinghy race. However,...

... how about the entire crew floating in the water at the bow? (Mae West life jackets required - makes for slower swimming.)

R

Roger

John T.

John T. I'm interested in receiving "Spinsheet". Who do I contact ? Thanks.

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Hunter 146 Candlewood Lake, CT
Waist deep starts

Alan - precisely the point! The waist deep requirement forces a specific set of entrants. It also implies a certain irreverence that sets the tone for the race. Though I do like your suggestion. A friend with a C 34 claims that when he races, he has been known to barbecue steaks off the back during the race, and still comes in 1, 2, or 3. Hmmmm... How abouot a race where you not only round the marks, but prepare a 5 course meal on board... That would certainly weed out us dinghies. Then again...

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Tereza

I am in full agreement that something needs to be done to bring back the fun of racing. However, let's face it, racing is about the excitment of pitting your sailing skills against another. If there is no true challenge to the competition, whats the point of racing?? If your friend can win a race while BBQing, you can only imagine the level of competition!! Last season I took a 15 second hit on my rating so that I could sail against faster boats. It's the better competition that makes YOU a better sailor.

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Hunter 146 Candlewood Lake, CT
Alan - no better way than real racing

You are right...Best way to improve our sailing skills and knowledge about our boats is to race - absolutely! If we forget all the camaraderie and fun that races can be, the bottom line, as some have pointed out, is the only sure way to see the effects of your adjustments is against the boats around you. You only reliably get that during a race. Cheers!

Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
Last-minute comments

Hey, nobody touched on fractional vs. masthead rigs! Since I own one, I'd have to go with the fractional rig and the reason is simple: Mast bend. Mast bend allows you to tune the mainsail while under way to a degree that cannot be obtained with a masthead rig. On upwind legs, bending the mast (using the backstay) flattens the main and opens the leech, allowing you to sail with a full main under conditions that would normally make reefing necessary. Extra power e.g. to accelerate when coming out of a tack or when sailing in chop, can be obtained quickly be easing the backstay slightly. Off the wind, the backstay is eased completely to straighten the mast, which deepens and "cups" the sail to make it more effective. Look at the footage from the last America's Cup. With a little imagination and a large helping of fun, racing can draw new sailors to the sport. Look at the continued popularity of events like the Baja Ha-Ha and the Mug Race, and I'm sure every region has a local equivalent. Peter H23 "Raven"

Jul 21, 2005
N/A N/A N/A
Roger

Spinsheet is a free magazine (local to the Chesapeake area I believe). I usually pick it up when I'm out spending money on the boat. I saw them at the Annapolis Show, and it seems the publisher puts out magazines for other regions. You can subscribe for a fee. I don't have one handy, but I'll let you know if you're interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.