fractional rig vs mast head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
Thanks Alan

By the way, how did you do in the Tampa (Sarasota?) to Key West race? Peter H23 "Raven"

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
tape drive

GeorgeB, I've only had one tape drive sail, a blade, one of the pre-carbon models, and it held up to a lot of wind, still holding its shape when I sold the boat. I wore out two sets of sunbrella protectors on that sail, and the the laminated fabric wasn't at all stretched. A molded sail might perform better, but not on a dollar-for-dollar basis. More than half the guys who race down here in Redwood City are using tape drives. Seems to be a great sail for the money. I'm partial to cruising laminates with a dacron scrim. Had a tri-radial main built this way, and was impressed with how it held up. But keep in mind I'm buying sails for cruising these days, not racing. It seems to me that delamination is less and less a problem as bonding methods improve. The new laminates will certainly outlast dacron threads, for what it's worth. Ah, Freya! I know the boat. Nice.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
ross...

like I said....on my end I don't see a problem... charisma test posted his avitar and then suggested that I STOLE it.... what a crock! There was no problem before he came on board... so... he's stepping on my avitar, obviously. the pics are getting crossed somewhere... what can I say.... call phil.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Peter

We wound up with a third. During the wee hours of the morning we blew out our spinnaker and had to sail the balance of the race with a big genny. That cost us first place. We took line honors but when you are racing boats with handicaps of nearly 300 its tough to compete. But we had a great time and the partying was wonderful! I always enjoy going to Key West for a few days of debauchery and indulgence. Our sail home was a hoot. Wind NE 25 building to 45, seas 6' building to 12'. It was a wild ride all the way! Thanks for asking.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
That is a pretty risky assumption Ross

Have you worked in the private sector lately? A lot of the "fat cats" I have seen there can't do anything but tell you what their boss told them to tell you was wrong. They don't know squat. In my experience as a dumb old Army guy I've run into the following stuff that folks making LOTS (6 figs) of money did not know. How to drive spell checker in any program how to use cut, paste, and copy either withing and especially between programs how to get spreadsheets to tally up numbers aka "=sum(a1:xx1)" I actually saw the guy adding up the numbers on a calculator and entering the total by hand in the cell can't fix (or even find) a flat tire. The guy gets out of the BMW in a very nice business suit and is flagging folks down cause his cell phone coverage is lacking. I stop and see if I can help. Well I KNOW the front right is flat from just walking up to the car. When I inquire further (being nice as I didn't realize stupid was not wearing his sign) he says the car is making a funny noise and the steering wheel is shaking badly (first clew). He then asks me if I could check under the hood. While standing at the front of the hood I comment that he has to unlatch it from inside. He asks me how (clew two). "I always wondered what that leaver did" was the comment (final clew). Dang glad he didn't play with it while going 60 MPH. I thought about going back to my car and digging out my "I'm stupid" sign but thought better of it. But being an ornery old cuss I ask him what he thinks the problem is while we are standing in front of the now open hood. "I've seen this before and it was the oil" he says Long story short, I walked away about 5 minutes later after he told me he was not stupid and he could fix it him self (still hunting for a problem under the hood as I walked away Being able t make $$$$ does not guarantee intelligence

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Joe, something is whacked-up somewhere

because the avatar that posts under your name in a white sloop see from the port side . I well remember your portrait of lord Admiral Nelson.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Bill, sometimes when we pick on beamers

and tell ourselves and others how good we are in spell checking, we should be VERY careful about our grammar. It's clueless of me to mention this, I know.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Touche,

But then I don't profess to be REAL smart. Being of Appalachian decent (plan white trash in another universe) and owning a boat causes lots of folks to scratch their heads I suspect. Stupid is as stupid does!

Sep 19, 2006
SCHOCK santana27' lake pleasant,az
sounds like me and ROSS 's boats are

pretty closely matched for rigging and i don't see how you can properly tune a main sail or a mast shape without a back stay?? i guess they eliminate that option in the newer models:D *box its like airplanes the newer ones are totally automated they don't even need a pilot (a monkey can fly them). HEY ROSS can a monkey sail your boat? i don't think so can a NEW sailboat go less than 18deg windward EFFICIENTLY ?? same as above bending a mast plays a big part in going to windward and if you cant ,well you cant. I wont say i know it all but i do understand sail shape and how it works. its like trying to swim with only one flipper.*O you can but not very well i have a masthead rig and the larger roach would cause control problems i.e. too much weatherhelm.but on the other hand i can fly a spinnaker in 25+ wind (like a flat rock on water)

Status
Not open for further replies.