FP hose clamp failure

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
My Fischer Panda Mini 12 generator shut down automatically when the exhaust manifold sensor reached 170 degrees. The FP panel also showed seawater temperature of 177 degrees incoming and 255 degrees outgoing. This was all caused by a hose clamp that corroded completely in half, letting seawater out of the hose it was sealing. This hose clamp rested on foam sound insulation on the bottom of the generator's sound case. As all the other clamps are still good, I presume that this clamp failed because of it's resting on a moist surface. Has anyone experienced a similar failure? After installing a new hose clamp, generator worked normal with all temperature readings also normal.

Attachments

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Very likely, but take it as a reminder that periodically all clamps, hoses, valves and thru hulls should be checked to avoid mishaps. See if it possible two install double clamps on the hoses for the generator.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
As all the other clamps are still good, I presume that this clamp failed because of it's resting on a moist surface.
Noooooooo ........................ the clamp was not 100% 316 SS as shown by the corrosion on the strap. A 316 SS hose clamp could sit in your bilge indefinitely without worry.

And as @Benny17441 says, ALWAYS and WITHOUT EXCEPTION, double clamp all sea water hose connections on your boat. Care to guess how many hose clamps on your engine are not double clamped AND not 100% 316 SS ?

Last edited: