Found This Oil Changing Idea, Looks Useful

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Injured In Boat Explosion
Fire Officials: Spilled Fuel Sparks Blast

UPDATED: 6:19 p.m. EDT August 8, 2003

WEIRS BEACH, N.H. -- Three people were seriously injured in an explosion on a boat in Weirs Beach Friday.

Fire officials said three employees of Channel Marine were performing maintenance on a used boat that had just been purchased. The workers were topping off a gas tank when they realized they had been filling the waste tank, causing gas to spill into the boat, officials said.

The employees apparently used a vacuum to clean up the spilled fuel, sparking the explosion.

Two men, ages 24 and 28, suffered serious burns. One was taken to Lakes Region General Hospital, while the other was flown to Massachusetts General Hospital.

"Literally within seconds of turning the dry vac on, the gasoline ignited," Laconia fire Chief Ken Erickson said. "There was a tremendous explosion and flash fire. The two men in the boat received substantial burns on their whole body."

A 22-year-old woman standing on the dock was blown back by the explosion and suffered first-degree burns on her face and arms. She was taken to Lakes Region General. There was no immediate word on the conditions of any of the victims.

The Laconia Fire Department and state fire marshal's office are investigating the incident.

From a local incident log.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Hmmmm?
I wonder how the carburetor on a gasoline engine works...
Lets see...
1) Pull a vacuum on the gasoline to make a vapor
2) Mix with air
3) Put mixture in a closed container
4) Provide an ignition source

Any similarities to a shop vac on gasoline?:laugh:
Jim...

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
The FD investigation seems to be a slam dunk. The OSHA investigation.....that's another story. I use to have a awesome video of a vac truck doing the exact same thing. Cant seem to find it. The good videos don't seem to last on Youtube once the offenders find them on there.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Hmmmm?
I wonder how the carburetor on a gasoline engine works...
Lets see...
2) Mix with air

Any similarities to a shop vac on gasoline?:laugh:
Jim...
I believe there would be too much air flow to get the right mixture for the fuel vapors to ignite inside the vacuum even if there were an ignition source. The possible ignition source is outside the vacuum. Put the vacuum inside a boat cabin with spilled gas and that moves way beyond colossally stupid perhaps even to the point of qualifying for a Darwin Award.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I believe there would be too much air flow to get the right mixture for the fuel vapors to ignite inside the vacuum even if there were an ignition source. The possible ignition source is outside the vacuum. Put the vacuum inside a boat cabin with spilled gas and that moves way beyond colossally stupid perhaps even to the point of qualifying for a Darwin Award.
Doing the two step with flammable ranges is not for the faint of heart, especially without a meter or two. If the system is somewhat air tight all that would be going into the vacuum is vapor.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I wonder how the carburetor on a gasoline engine works... Lets see...
2) Mix with air

Diesels run easier... It's just " suck, squeeze, bang, blow ".