Foto Forum Fiesta (or My Kingdom for a T1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark Burrows

It was there when I sent it?

Okay, I forgot to put in a relevant model. The server ate my content. Here's what I MEANT to say? I was try to look at the Catalina Rendezvous Pix when my patience was overtaken by my bandwidth. I got to see some rocks and hats when I gave up to what the dryer spin. Those pictures are HUGE! Are there any suggestions in the upload instructions that suggest a screen size (400x300 or so) or a number of bits (70Kb or less). There might be some Java out there that does this for you. Lots of programs will do this and they are free. See you in Annapolis. Mark PS. I need you on Saturday for the Opti Demo Race. Bly can drive the chase boat, but YOU have to handle the spinaker! I won't take "Server is Down" for an answer.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Amature Night at HOW

Gee, Mark, I sent a demo to be sure before I posted those Catalina pix. I couldn't figure out an effective way to resize 'em and preview how they would appear on the site. Any guidance would be welcome. FYI, I can get these things downloaded relatively fast on 'ol AOL at home on a 56k modem; 48k connection. Some were wide angle, so they have to be scrolled, which is a pain, but I thought even those contained a majority of the image within the first frame. Oh, well. Such is first trys. Rick Dinon

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
working with size

Sizing photos is the problem, all right. Because, even if I could help people size them (a feature coming in the next rev -- see below) few folks have the software to do anything about it. Of course, this creates long download times, but that's why the photos are linked to the text, and not embedded in it. I am almost done with the framework for a new Foto Forum and Gallery that has these improvements: (1) let's the user see the size of each photo to compare them to guidelines, (2) does not require the filename to be typed into a form (the #1 cause of broken links), (3) gives the user a chance to upload missing or broken photos again if, and edit text BEFORE posting the artiucle to the menu, (4) offers the opportunity to abort the whole process with no effect on the forum. It won't cure long downloads, but it will help with a number of other ills. Watch for it a week or two. I gotta check with Bly about Saturday; she's the keep of the schedule and I know we're booked pretty tight. But we'll sure igve it a shot! p.

M

Mark Burrows

Oh Phil (he said with a sad expression)

I finally was too oblique even for you. There is no Opti demo race. Optis are those little tiny boat for 8-12 year olds. Either one of us would sink one. I was just needling you. As for Rick's request for help: If you are using a scanner, Most come with some free software called Adobe Photo Deluxe. This software is all over the place and you should be able to find it on the web. If not, you can get it cheap at a software store. Along with being able to size you picture better, you can also touch them up (improve the color, get rid of red-eye, delete your mother-in-law). There are a lot of other inexpensive programs that can do the same thing. Check the budget bins. Back to Phil: Where do you find the time to keep revising HOW? I am amazed at the continuing advancements on a site that has little visible means of income. Tell Bly that you were thrown off the Opti and replaced by a colorful golf umbrella. If she feels she MUST be on the crew, the Opti can always use someone to grind the winches. Mark PS. Yes its another late-into-the-night case study and I'm wait for final comments from the project team, i.e. I'm writing wa evah pops inna mah hade.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I had a hunch

Just as I pushed the 'submit' button I thought to myself, 'I've been had!' But hey, my ignorance has been on display before and it sure won't be the last time. :) Re: Foto Forum. My hunch is (1) many peopl;e don't know how to use PhotoShop LE or the other low-end editors, and (2) many of the pix come right out of digital cameras, where they are often too big. But, as I said, the new version will help monitor, if not remedy, that. See you in MD! Looking forward to it!

M

Mark Burrows

Digital Cameras

The digital cams that I've used let you choose the size during the upload. For pix on the web, choose .jpg format. If you can specify a resolution, choose 75dpi. You only need the 300-600+ dpi resolution when you are printing. Mark

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Good Timimg, Phil...

Because those SoCal pix were from a Kodak CD. They have just instituted a service whereby you can get e-version pix either via AOL download or from a CD in conjunction with regular development. Bottom line: more of us will have e-version pix even w/o scanners to cause mischief on the site. Mark, if I was smart enough, I would have realized that I could have exported them to my scanner software and resized them there. That program has always been awkward, tho, so I hate to think what I might have done. You guys have a good time at the show. No drool marks on the 50!

M

Mark Burrows

Kodak Photo CD

It's been a couple of years since I've used the Photo CD. Back then the Photo CD had software for viewing and resizing also. Take a look. It might be easier than the scanner program. Mark

D

Dick Vance

Phix Photos With Photodex

I've been using a program, CompuPic by Photodex ($39.95 on line) for several years to edit and view pictures. This program lets you resize, edit colors, crop, reformat, view as slide shows, create screensavers, backgrounds, etc., etc., etc. You can check it out at: http://www.graphicswiz.com/website/ I have Paint Shop Pro 4.14 for scanning and fine editing but I use CompuPic all the time for viewing and general editing. I highly recommend this program (no, I don't have any interest in the company!!!). This is by far the easiest program of its kind to use. It's very handy as you can look at all the graphic files in a directory in virtually any format. Dick Vance H-25.5 "Honey Bear"

Status
Not open for further replies.