Forward head will not stop filling

Dec 19, 2019
Hunter 45 Deck Salon Cumming, Ga
Hello all. I have a 2008 Hunter 45 DS. My forward head keeps filling as if I have the fill switch engaged. This started after I used the switch to fill the head. It kept filling like I was still holding the button down to fill the head. I first thought the switch was stuck on so I pulled the switch and disconnected all of the wiring connecting the switch. No luck with that as the main pump for both heads engages when turned on. I would not have thought this was possible since power to the solenoid should be coming through the switch. I guess that isn't the way it is wired. Any suggestions on how to proceed before I take everything apart?

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Measure the voltage at the pump wires with switch off. It appears that it is miswired or the solenoid is frozen in on position.
If so try lubricating it.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
What's the make/model/age of the toilets? Also the solenoid valve, if you know it? Are the intake pumps integral to the toilet or are they remote pumps?

You said I first thought the switch was stuck on so I pulled the switch and disconnected all of the wiring connecting the switch. No luck with that as the main pump for both heads engages when turned on.
I'm a bit confused by this...Is there a single pump serving both toilets?? If you disconnected wiring to the flush button, how are you turning them on??

A solenoid valve doesn't turn the pump on and off, it simply opens the valve to allow flush water to flow when the flush button is pushed, closes to block it when you' release the button. It has to be wired to the flush button to know when to do that (It also should be on a vented loop in the intake line, btw). So your problem isn't in the switch, the problem is, the valve in the solenoid valve is stuck open. If it's a Jabsco solenoid valve, replacing it may be the only cure, 'cuz they have a pretty high failure rate.

--Peggie

Dec 19, 2019
Hunter 45 Deck Salon Cumming, Ga
What's the make/model/age of the toilets? Also the solenoid valve, if you know it? Are the intake pumps integral to the toilet or are they remote pumps?

You said I first thought the switch was stuck on so I pulled the switch and disconnected all of the wiring connecting the switch. No luck with that as the main pump for both heads engages when turned on.
I'm a bit confused by this...Is there a single pump serving both toilets?? If you disconnected wiring to the flush button, how are you turning them on??

A solenoid valve doesn't turn the pump on and off, it simply opens the valve to allow flush water to flow when the flush button is pushed, closes to block it when you' release the button. It has to be wired to the flush button to know when to do that (It also should be on a vented loop in the intake line, btw). So your problem isn't in the switch, the problem is, the valve in the solenoid valve is stuck open. If it's a Jabsco solenoid valve, replacing it may be the only cure, 'cuz they have a pretty high failure rate.

--Peggie
Hi Peggie,
I'm not sure of the make and model at the moment. I'll check.
The pump is remote and located just forward of the galley. Both heads use this remote pump.
The forward head fills as if I'm holding down the button when I switch on the saltwater pump at the main panel. Main panel being where I turn on fresh water pump, auto pilot, anchor light etc...
Flushing is fine, the toilet is filling with water without me pushing the button to make it fill and would over flow if I didn't turn the pump off.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Me thinks it might be a malfunctioning vented loop (frozen in the closed position). On our boat the sea water flow stops when the flush button is released. If water continues to flow, perhaps the vented loop does not open like it is suppose to when the flush button is released and sea water continues to siphon into the bowl.

Mar 31, 2011
Leopard 44 Pasadena, MD
I have a similar problem on my 2007 Hunter 41DS. I have jabsco electric heads and when freshwater pressure is applied by the main pump under the galley sink my forward head slowly fills with or without the head circuit breaker being turned on or off. I believe these are solenoid switches, spring loaded in the closed position. I'm going with the assumption that it is contaminated, has a weak spring, or bad seal. I won't know until the weather warms up and I can gain access to it. The next question is where do I find a replacement if I need it. Hopefully it's still available on the resource parts website.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Everything both of you are describing points to a malfunctioning solenoid that's keeping the air valve closed.

The only Jabsco solenoid valve I can find is the 37068, which is only for use with the 37010 toilet that has an integral pump...both of your toilet have remote pumps. So I think the only thing to do is, call Jabsco tech support. Paul Campagna is their toilet guru...his direct line is 978.282.5246 Sometime in the last year or two I added the name David Mendoza to my Jabsco tech support file. His direct line is (949-608-3934)

--Peggie