Forward Cabin & Deck Joint

Whit

Sep 13, 2004
Hunter 30_88-94 New Orleans LA
Currently I am working in the forward cabin in an effort to stem a persistent leak. The deck just forward of the cabin has always been a bit soft. This portion of the deck is supported by the cabin. I have removed the overhead and the ceiling in an effort to find a way of adding strength & support. I would like to keep the integrity of the original design and had hoped to put some type of joist beneath that would add the support needed. I imagine that this area must be a problem on most of the Challengers & I am curious if anyone else has encountered this and what the remedy was.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I was hoping someone else would chime in Whit, with a solution. I have that softspot in the deck and have dealth with leaks there.

My leak problems there were the joints at the cabin sides and front, mostly. I repaired those years ago by kerfing out the joint and fitting some small pieces of wood in epoxy to form new joints there. That's cured those leaks. I've also pulled the trim board at the cabin to deck connection and recaulked. In fact, I've done that twice and this second time, made a large piece that covers some discolored areas. That front cabin piece takes a beating with sun.

The last time, I almost got into fitting a beam below. I should have. There's no doubt that the cabin is holding the deck up there so the sealant will be subjected to abuse in movement.

I recall thinking I might build up a laminated beam, roughly 2" thick(or whatever the space is between deck and ceiling) and maybe 5 or 6" wide. Laminating it on a frame to a bit more camber than the deck has should leave it with a close shape to the deck camber.

I also recall the ends of this beam could fasten to the deck support structure at the hull deck joint perhaps?

I know this isn't much help. Maybe someone else has done this?