Forum update coming VERY soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Thanks to invaluable help from @Davidasailor26, @jssailem, @Meriachee, @Justin_NSA, and @Brian D, we are anticipating a clean, easy upgrade into the new version of the forum software.

Most things work the same as they do now and most of the controls are in the same place. But those controls are larger, easier to understand, and in some cases have extra features.

Probably the biggest change is that the nav is on the side instead of the top, but you can hide it with a single click.

The Custom Forum will still be there, although you will have to set it up again. All Forums - All Discussions will not be a separate forum, but it's still there: it's simply the Custom Forum in its default state.

The app will be available shortly after the new forum launches. I forgot that it takes time to get it posted in the Apple App Store and Google Play. :redface:

Also coming shortly after the launch will be push notifications: those little banners that pop up on your screen telling you there's a new post or reply. (You can easily turn them off if desired.)

The forum will be down for a day while the last stage of conversion happens. I will give you plenty of notice before then.

Jun 22, 2006
Hunter H33 Topeka, KS
Phil, I used to get updated posts by email every monday morning. That feature seemed to go away a with the last upgrade. Will that be an option with the new upgrade?

PJL

Apr 22, 2014
Hunter 42 Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
"The Custom Forum will still be there, although you will have to set it up again. All Forums - All Discussions will not be a separate forum, but it's still there: it's simply the Custom Forum in its default state."

Not sure I follow this (e.g. Custom/All) as I usually just follow the link that arrives by E-Mail.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I used to get updated posts by email every monday morning. That feature seemed to go away a with the last upgrade. Will that be an option with the new upgrade?
That can be added as an opt-in function, yes. If I forget in the moment please nudge me!

Not sure I follow this (e.g. Custom/All) as I usually just follow the link that arrives by E-Mail
No worries, that's only relevant for the folks who use those methods to read the forum.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Thank you, Phil, for the invaluable work you do on this extraordinarily valuable resource!

Brad

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
The forum will be down for a day while the last stage of conversion happens.
What am I going to do that day?
I know, I'll go sailing!

Thanks Phil for keeping us informed throughout the process.
One of the highlights of our Winter Cruise was meeting Phil and hearing the history of SBO and sharing other stories.
Pictured are:
@Phil Herring @LeslieTroyer @jssailem and myself in Poulsbo, WA.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.