Fortress Anchors

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Beynon

We have a Fortress Anchor and cannot seem to get it to set in mud and weeds. Has anyone found a way to get it to set in mud and/or weedy bottom. It seems to set fine in sand.

R

Ron Hughes

Fortress Mud Wings

Fortress has factory mud wings to add to your anchor. They are a factory accessory. Order them, put them on, and you can anchor in mud.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Danforth too

Steve: We have the same problem with the danforth when we try to anchor in a grassy bottom. We anchor in a sand/mud bottom regularly and have no problems at all with the danforth, but when there is grass/weeds they DO NOT BITE! I finally resolved myself to just purchasing a Delta anchor and it solved the problem. Now we just have another anchor to store. Steve Dion s/v Heather Marie

R

Roland

Fortress anchor

How much chain to you have attached to the anchor? I have a Fortress with mud wings on my h30 attached to 25 feet of BBB chain. Weighs a ton. Never fails to set in mud, grass, or sand.

S

Steve Fehm

useless in weeds

I too have a fortress anchor & like other danforth style anchors it does not work well in weeds. From my experiance a trash con lid at the end of my chain would have worked as well. More chain might help, but that wont push those flukes past the weeds and if the wind picks up you'll be dragging. I hope to get a delta or CQR and use that for a primary anchor next season....

S

Steve Beynon

Danforth vs Fortress

We also have a danforth. Interestingly enough it sets in anything. The Danforth is a small high tensile steel anchor and has held in 60 knot winds in soft weedy bottom. Trying to dig it out after took 3 of us and a lot of help from the engine.

B

brad cavedo

Get Rid of It

We had a Fortress on our old H37C. No good. It was better after we added the mud flaps, though. The problem with it is that it is lighter than a pine board. It almost floats. Then we got a Bruce 33. It sets first time, every time. A great anchor. On our P42 we have a Bruce 44 with the old 33 next to it as a back up for stern anchor. The Fortress is disassembled in the stern locker as emergency anchor. It was a complete waste of money.

D

Dakota Jim Russell

Willing to Buy Fortresses

If anyone is so dissatisfied with their Fortress that they will sell them cheaply, let me know. Mine works fine and I know several others in my area that would be willing to part with a few dollars to get one. So if you're dissatisfied to the degree that you'll sell them cheaply, let me know.

A

Andy Hansom

open angle

Don't forget to change the angle of the flukes for mud. Ours seems to work good with no problems. Also read the instructions on setting in mud,there are a couple of good sugestions that seem to help us. Leslie Stephens S/V Vanishing Point

Status
Not open for further replies.