fore and aft lower shrouds

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom Monroe

I own an O'Day 22, and have been looking at larger boats in the 27-30 foot range. Many of the O'Day models emulate my 22 footer in that they have no fore and aft lower shrouds. I wondered about that some when I bought my 22, but since she is essentially a day sailer with a cabin, I decided it didn't bother me. How about on the bigger boats with higher loadings. Have any of you that own them experienced any difficulties? Tom

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Fore and aft lowers

Tom - There are many boats out there with single lower shrouds and they're good boats. This style of rigging is lighter than dual lowers but is generally not an issue in the conditions these boats are designed for. The one thing that can be a problem can be controlled by the skipper. The advent of roller furling led to people jib sailing with increasing frequency. On a boat with only one set of lowers it is possible for the mast to break if the jib starts it pumping. Its rare - the pumping jib must hit the resonant frequency of the mast - but it has happened. The solution is simple - don't jib sail a boat with single lowers. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Status
Not open for further replies.