Fooooooooooooog Horn

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Carl & Jule

So you're out sailing and you are overtaken by a fog bank, and you need to start doing the horn signal every two minutes. How do you do it? Do you do it manually; get out the air-horn, watch your wrist watch, and give it a blast every two minutes? Or have you automated the horn signal in some way? If you have automated the process, how did you do it? We are looking into this for our upcoming commissioning, and we have been quoted a really neat radio which, among lots of other neat stuff, has PA capabilities that will do the fog horn bit very nicely. But the price tag.........oh, dear! Before deciding one way or the other we thought that we would get some more input and experience from those that have done it. Thanks in advance. Carl & Jule H340, s/v 'Syzygy'

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Standard Horizon LH-5

We went with a Standard Horizon LH-5 loudhailer and horn - but can't remember which one. The impedance matched and it had the largest wattage output for longer life. According to the West Marine catalog the LH-5 has 20 W output at 10% distortion but somehow 40 W sticks in my mind (maybe this is at 4 ohms?). The PA horn, a rectangular Standard, is 40 watts at 4 ohms. We also bought the Horizon hailer/talkback speaker to have it at the helm but it's magnet really affected the compass so it hasn't been permanently installed yet - it's only been two years. Our compass is very sensitive, a German made Venus, and the talkback speaker still has an affect even at five feet (!). For a hailer to be useful as a hailer one really needs the mic and controls near the helm so with the head unit down below it hasn't been any use in its hailer capacity. Where we have really got a lot of use out of the LH-5 is in traveling under fog. According to the regulations one is required to sound the appropriate signals and the LH-5 makes this a no-brainer. Just poke the appropriate button for "under power", "under sail", "at anchor", "aground(!)", etc. For example, on a trip last summer out Juan de Fuca Strait from Victoria BC to Barkley sound it was foggy nearly the entire way. Our radar picked up numerous targets which were mostly fishing boats, both sport and commercial, with a few yachties and ships throuwn in for good measure. Since we stayed outside the shipping lanes the ships weren't a problem but the numerous fishing boats were. With the horn going in visibility as low as two or three boat lengths, the targets ahead of us would often just move out of the way!!! The horn is currently jurry rigged on a board which gets clamped to the pulpit seat and 16ga wire is run aft to the LH-5. This puts the horn as far away from me at the helm as possible and that way I can listen for traffic. If it is white caps it is clamped on the spinnaker pole car to get it away from salt spray. There are a number of boaters who travel in the fog without radar reflectors and with fiberglass boats and they don't necessarily show up on radar very well. In fact, I've had a small group of little birds show up better than some boats. Something skippers need to think about is what happens if there is an "incident"? In the investigation it will come out who was sounding the proper signals and if you weren't you could be in a very bad position. What good is it if one has boat insurance and don't sound the proper signals? If one has radar for use in low visibility conditions one should also have a radar reflector (properly mounted for maximum reflection), and a hailer to sound the appropriate sound signal. Personally, I'd like something with more than 40 W for when under way. 40W does not really sound all that loud. It might be able to run the LH-5 output to an electronic switch which could then actuate a louder horn, like a Marinco "full blast" air horn (121 db, self contained, $189, WM), that takes 20 amps (240 W at 12 volts). By comparison, the input of the LH-5 is 5 amps max so the output is less. A factor that will diminish the sound to traffic ahead is wind. A true wind that is against the boat's direction of travel will really reduce the range of the sound considerably, something to keep in mind when either underway or at anchor. Bottom line is the hailer and horn is a cheap investment for what you can get out of it. I think it's a good idea. By the way, I sailed in Rhode Island years ago out of E. Greenwich (sp?) in a 16 ft day sailor (Falcon class). Went to Dutch Island (think thats the name of it) a lot. Also sailed an over night trip from Pt Judith to Block Island in late September (no crowds) and the return trip was in pea soup fog all the way. Fortunately I had a compass and with luck we came back right on the breakwater for Point Judith. Lots of good memories there. Fall colors and a blue sky with cold air..nice.

T

TOM MCNAMARA

Very Nice

I was going to reply, but John Nantz stole the show but I had to say something to pass the time as a live aboard on a sunday morning and it is snowing like hell in N.Y. and dont plan on going any place. No football games make it more worserer. Getting back to the subject this should a standard piece of equipment. I have used the it in almost all of its phases many times. Infact with another speaker down below it becomes an intercom. I dont Know the size of your boat but on a 450 and two people on board it helps to wake up your 1/2 mate to make a cup of coffee.

G

Gorodn Myers

Rayheon "Ray 220" Option

We stayed with all Raytheon Electronics on our boat. The "Ray 220" VHF will do almost everything, in addition to being a DSC unit. It has a built in Hailer, Manual & Auto Fog Horn. Just add a transceving "hailer" type speaker and your done. Yes it is expensive. We mounted this VHF at the helm with the standard (Hunter provided) VHF at the Nav. Station. With the hailer speaker mounted at the mast (down low) it is very convenient to talk (two-way conversation) with someone on the bow. I many times run the boat in the manual fog horn position, since it will sound a blast every time and for a long as one keys the mike. I guess am just a power boater at heart, I now have an electric boat horn. As a note of explanation, when the unit is in the hail, manual or auto fog horn position the "hail speaker" picks up sound/noise as well as producing or sounding a blast/speach as directed. Hope this helps.

T

Thom Hoffman

Low Tech (Plan B?)

No experience with the high tech options you're considering. Since all of my sailing is/has been daytime coastal, I've found "Plan B" works pretty well for us. When the fog moves in crew gets assigned to the coach roof, just forward of the mast, with a watch, manual horn(s), foulies and PFD, and a floatation cushion. The advantage of being on deck is one's hearing and vision is much improved away from the cockpit engine noises and obstructions of the dodger. If it's a solo trip, "B" is not an option, and the cap'n gets very busy.

Status
Not open for further replies.