Foam with the 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Clay Heinz

In the process of my restoration, I have come to realize that I have none of this "flotation" foam. I'm completely gutting the boat and feel that this foam has been removed quite some time ago. Can someone tell me how the foam works and where it goes. An idea as to how I can replace it would be nice to. Thanks, The new guy, Clay

M

Mike

Foam Blocks

Foam Blocks for floatation are nothing new. Foam blocks (Styrefoam) are put in the rear of the boat, under the cockit, and under the fore V-berth. This is normally slightly denser than the foam used in cheap styrefoam coolers and cups. The blocks should be as large as possasble but still small enough to be placed into its area. Several blocks, I have four VERY large blocks under the cockpit of my 25, are used for each area where you want flotation. The bow and stern are the major areas where the foam is placed but additional blocks can be placed under galley seats and in the galley space under the sink, etc. You can use any closed cell foam for flotation but styrafoam seems to be the choice of most as it is light, Easy to cut to shape and not very expensive. Look in the yellow pages under plastics, foam, insulation, etc. Good luck, Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.