Flush Control Timer for Raritan PHEII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Not a toilet I'd recommend...

The manual PH II is the best manual toilet under $500 on the market...but putting an electric motor on it turns it into a marginal electric toilet, 'cuz it's still a manual toilet...the motor only replaces the pump handle. It also causes the toilet to pump much faster and with a much shorter stroke...which takes longer to prime, and so wears out seals and o-rings much faster and also causes it to "choke" on flushes that manually pumping slowly and deliberately would push through. It has only one advantage: it can be converted back to manual--which FAR more people have done in disgust than have ever had to do because of any power issues. If you want an electric toilet, go with the Raritan SeaEra--a toilet designed to be an electric toilet. It uses less power than the PHE II and only needs about a half gallon of flush water. If you're ever in a situation in which you don't have enough power to flush the toilet, you'll have a lot more serious issues to deal with than that. However, while some sailors seem to be concerned about it, I've never heard from anyone or read on any board that it became necessary to convert back to manual for any reason other than, they just got tired of rebuilding the toilet every couple of years and dealing with clogs. But in the unlikely event it ever does, there's always a bucket. To answer your question about whether a flush timer is advisable...it does ensure that the toilet will be long enough--especially by guests--to move bowl contents to the tank or treatment device, but not long enough to fill up the tank with flush water. So whether it's advisable or not depends on how important it is to you that the amount of flush water be controlled automatically.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Peggy - thank you so much for your detailed reply and recommendation re SeaEra and timer. Exactly the info I've been seeking but unable to discern "between the lines" of all the advertised features of different brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.