Fluid fill by Volume or Dipstick?...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dale I

Ya can't seem to have it both ways... Ok, so the recommended volume for engine oil and tranny fluid may match the dipstick in straight and level flight....like maybe in a tractor on the ground...but thats not reality in a boat. My tranny dipstick is near the back of the box and with the backward tilt to match the prop shaft it registers too high. When I checked the dipstick upon reaching 2/3 of the recommende .6 Liter of transmission fluid I was above the range of the dipstick. (Similar situation on the engine.) Is there a risk of damage to front bearings and clutch plates by underfilling fluid levels? Anyone blown gaskets from overfilling to 'recommended capacities'?
 
Dec 2, 1999
15,184
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
It does cause problems.

Dale: It does cause problems by overfilling the transmission. When you check the fill level, it is suppose to be with the cap just placed on the transmission (not screwed down). I know in automobiles you can have problems with the engine if you over fill the crankcase, so you may want to check out the engine too. There were some posts about the transmission problems when overfilling, so you may want to search the archives too.
 
D

Dale I

Steve...

I went to the archives and found nothing too definitive regarding overfilling the transmission... It seems to be a 'splash' type arrangement and as long as there was SOME fluid there, it would be just fine.... I have never, ever, personally known of anyone having damaged any one thing--be it an engine, transmission, or what ever from overfilling it....granted, it may likely happen, but I've never seen it. In part, what I'm trying to determine here, is it better to err on the overfill (blow-up) side or on the potential seizure from high friction/overheat from too little lubricant..... Would higher pressure result from an overfill of engine oil? If so, wouldn't it show up on an oil pressure gage? (I have no gages.)
 
Dec 2, 1999
15,184
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
There was some reference to a problem

Dale: There was some reference to a problem with overfilling the transmission. I think it had to do with slipping or making a noise if it was overfilled. I doubt that there is any good way to do this being that you never actually know if you have completely drained the transmission, crankcase etc. If you knew how much you took out (and it was full), you would know how much to replace. It is not that simple when we are dealing with a suction system to drain the devices. I think that your trial/error method is the best you can hope for. The alternative on the engine is to put a drain plug with a quick disconnect hose on the crankcase. This would make draining the crankcase much easier and more fool proof too. I do not see any way to do this on the tranmissions.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.