Flotation Advice for a Mariner

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve

Justin, I just read your advice to Henry regarding removing any waterlogged flotation. I have a 77 marnier, what flotation should I be checking? Mine seems to be "blowin in" and is under the berths, and would seem impossible to remove. Thanks for a great web site!!!!!

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

That's the stuff . . .

Steve, That 'blown in stuff' is floatation foam. The idea is that the foam will displace water and cause the boat to float even if the hull is flooded. The problem is that in older boats the foam will eventually hold water, and if flooded, the boat will sink. Getting the old stuff out is a serious pain in the neck. I had to cut inspection ports into my seats and carve it out lying on the sole with my hand shoved inside. No fun. If its dry, you don't necessarily have to replace it. I would, however, add to it untill the entire seat trunk, and any other dead space, is full. I like to use closed cell insulation boards, cut down and shoved inside, then fill the remaining little spaces by pouring in two part foam. Use as much board and as little two part foam as possible to stay realistic price wise. If you are going to upgrade your floation, give some thought to how you want the boat to sit in the water flooded. The higher to floation, the easier the boat will become to bail. I'm glad you enjoy the site! Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Status
Not open for further replies.