Flexofold Prop

Jun 1, 2010
Hunter 36-2 Oriental, NC
Hi,

I'm contemplating replacing my fix three blade prop with flexofold 3 blade prop. Has any 309 owners any experience this or similar 3 blade folding prop.

Thanks,
Ron

C309 #142

Jun 5, 2004
-Beneteau Oceanis 51.1 Chicago, IL
The Flexofold web site has a link to the often cited 2009 Yachting Monthly prop tests, which compared many of the popular props.

Jun 1, 2010
Hunter 36-2 Oriental, NC
Purchased

The Flexofold web site has a link to the often cited 2009 Yachting Monthly prop tests, which compared many of the popular props.
Hi Paul,

Thanks. I had read the report previously and was a factor in choosing Flexofold.

I ordered the prop Friday, the 8th and received it from Denmark via UPS on Monday, the 12th.

I'll report back in the Spring of the performance differences under sail and power.

Jun 1, 2010
Hunter 36-2 Oriental, NC
Hi Paul,

Thanks. I had read the report previously and was a factor in choosing Flexofold.

I ordered the prop Friday, the 8th and received it from Denmark via UPS on Monday, the 12th.

I'll report back in the Spring of the performance differences under sail and power.
Hi all,

My Flexofold prop is now installed. Here are some quick observations:

1. No prop walk! Zero, Zilch, Nada.
2. My 15x9 is little under-pitched, but does provide excellent maneuverability around the marina.
3. I get ~ 6 kts. @ 2800 rpm. Can someone post something on the standard prop for comparison?
4. If I did more motoring I'd probably replace the 15x9 blades with 15x10 blades. Blade sets can be ordered separately.
5. The quality and robustness of the Flexofold prop are outstanding.
6. Performance under sail is noticeably better, but I don't have data as to how much.

Ron
C309 #142

Attachments

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
Ron, I get about 6.7 - 6.8 kts with the standard 3 blade fixed prop at 3000 rpm on fairly flat seas and no headwind according to my knot meter. At 3400 rpm it will push 7 - 7.2 with a clean bottom. I have the fin keel which may or not make a difference. The prop looks great, keep us informed as to how it works for you this season. Bob

Jun 1, 2010
Hunter 36-2 Oriental, NC
Ron, I get about 6.7 - 6.8 kts with the standard 3 blade fixed prop at 3000 rpm on fairly flat seas and no headwind according to my knot meter. At 3400 rpm it will push 7 - 7.2 with a clean bottom. I have the fin keel which may or not make a difference. The prop looks great, keep us informed as to how it works for you this season. Bob
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I'll give you updates as I get more data. As it stands now, I think the boat would do better with a 15x10 prop. At least with the Flexofold, I can simply swap blades to change the pitch.

Thanks,
Ron
C309 #142

Jun 1, 2010
Hunter 36-2 Oriental, NC
Flexofold Update

Hi all,

I've replaced the 15x9 blade set with a 15x10 blade set. What a difference! I now have the performance I expected. In flat water, I get 6 knots @ ~2500 rpm and 7.1 @ ~3600. Still no prop walk. I love the difference in sailing performance, especially in light air.

If you decide to get a Flexofold prop, order it from the US distributor, Hansen Marine, hansenmarine.com . You'll get better "after the sale" support from Jon Mills at Hansen Marine Engineering than you will get from [FONT=&quot]Keld Willberg at Flexofold[/FONT].

Ron Stubbs
Island Breeze
C309 #142

Last edited: