fleet status

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mike43067

We have 3 H23's in our sailing club and are interested in becoming a fleet. How does one go about that and what does it entail?

C

Cliff Ruckstuhl

I tried

Mike I tried for a few years to do that. I was sailing on Grand Lake St.Marys not far from you I live in Findlay, and wanted to get a one design race going but it never happend. We now have a 25.5 and I am good friends with the people that bought my boat. We would love to get a one design race of some sort going. Let me know what happens. (419)423-1969 or cliffr@bright.net Cliff

J

Janel

prpldimond@aol.com

I've been racing as a crew member on larger boats but the time came to run my Hunter 25 in a beer can series. I'm a yacht club member and asked if my club or a nearby club would work with a series of beer can/small boat fiberglass races. We got 3 clubs together and started a series. It was very easy. We race in the evenings after work, rain or shine, light or dark. We were able to get many club members together to work on bettering our skills and crewing below and giving tips on handling in races. It's really been great and we've grown to a few boats to a rather respectable fleet. Try some local boating clubs and organizations. You'll be surprised at the support you will find. I found many like myself who didn't know where to begin and we've really done well together. Sometimes all it takes is one person with interest to motivate many others. Good luck!

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Not enough boats

I don't think three boats are enough to justify racing as a one design fleet. Continue racing PHRF and keep track of your performance relative to the other h23s informally.

M

Mike Epp

clarification

I think my post was misunderstood. I simply need to know who to contact to estabilish ourselves as a fleet. Does it cost anything? Do we contact Hunter or a Hunter racing association?

J

Jim Kolstoe

Fleet recognition

Mike, I don't claim to know the usual ins and outs of obtaining fleet recognition, but members of Triton YC and Eugene YC (the two clubs share Fern Ridge Res. and cooperate on racing scheuding and management) got recognition for the formation of Wavelenght 24 fleet #1 last year. The fleet captain, a former h22 owner, told me that the recognition was from the manuafacturer, WD Schock. On that single example, unless a national fleet speaks up, I would assume that the appropriate place to look for recognition is Hunter Marine. Regarding the question everyone else addressed, our local rule is that for series and beer-can racing, three boats of a type constitutes a fleet entitled to a separate start. For regatta, five boats are required to get a separate start. Jim Kolstoe, h23 Kara's Boo

Status
Not open for further replies.