Flawed Logic?

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Roland and Rgranger...
Kids at the bus stop in the morning!
OK, I get that, but what happens in March when we spring forward? It gets dark an hour later and light an hour later. Kids get the bus at the same time. Either way the early kids are still in the dark but they are mostly older students . Generally, the elem. kids start later so are not as affected. At least around these parts. There are lots of theories about how and why this tradition started. Let's hear some.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Actually only because of our Axis's Tilt of ≈5° 23.43643° [corrected] which favors the Northern Hemisphere.

Note: Solar Energy Angle of incident is ≈5°

No Winters when Dinosaur's walked the Earth.

Just the beginning of the Polar Jet Stream dipping down south, thus the COLD begins.
_____
"Winter in the Northern Hemisphere will officially commence on Tuesday, December 21 at 15:59 UT (or 10:59 a.m. EST and 7:59 a.m. PST). At that time the sun will reach the solstice - its southernmost declination for the year, resulting in the lowest noonday sun, the shortest amount of daylight of the year for the Northern Hemisphere, and the longest amount for the Southern Hemisphere. After the December solstice, the daylight hours will begin to increase for the Northern Hemisphere"

_______

By the way..
Did you know a rare event will occur on Xmas night?

Christmas Star

Check out the news.

Jim...
PS: Thanks for the correction @Johnb

Last edited:

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Actually only because of our Axis's Tilt of ≈5° which favors the Northern Hemisphere.
No doubt that is a slip of the finger and you actually mean approx. 23.5 degrees.

But why does this favor the Northern Hemisphere?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Good thing we get only Solar Radiation Energy versus Solar Energy Conduction.:yikes:

Jim...

PS: Note correction of my post #22 above.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
If we really think about this, today is the solstice which means the sun is at the Tropic of Capricorn (23° South). This is the lowest sun position for us in the northern hemisphere. We call this the first day of winter, when it should be the middle of winter. After today the sun starts its climb back to the northern hemisphere.

Is my logic flawed? Sure would like to know.
View attachment 201138
So do you seek to achieve Kolinahr?

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
My first day of winter is the day my boat gets hauled..My first day of summer is the day I launch. As of 09:00 on 12/22 summer begins in 141 days, 00 hours 00 minutes :)

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
All I know is that yesterday morning at 0730 where I am in Virginia it was 27 degrees, and the #@$&% Dog decided he had to go out, and we don’t have the back fence installed yet…
which means I have to take him out on a leash. Its winter!
The only benefit is that its not snowy and the sun actually shines in January. I didn’t know that until I moved out of northern Michigan during the winter.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I am in Virginia it was 27 degrees, and the #@$&% Dog decided he had to go out, and we don’t have the back fence installed yet…
which means I have to take him out on a leash
That is why I prefer a semi-wimpy dog. We had a GSD that would go anywhere, do anything.. super smart, calm and low maintenance. She hated going outside in rain and cold. She would only ask to go out if she really needed to. She was back inside ASAP.❤

On the other hand, we dog sat a lab, who absolutely loved the cold. Wanted long walks @ -40 + wind. Never saw that pup lift his paw from the ground,and he refused to wear boot or clothes.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Based on some replies, many prefer the meteorological definition vs the astronomical one

Anyone know why/when the seasons were defined ? I assume they were being defined in some way, well before people realized it was an astronomical occurence.

Does that mean the polar regions only get winter ?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Agriculture?
People were nomads long before agriculture. So the non celestial observation definition would go back much further.

More likely defined as combo of weather and animal migration observation.

Colder fat animal Season.
best to stay in the cave like the smart animals season,
Baby Caribou Season.
Warm and good hunting season.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I think the seasons as we know it was all derived from the Lunar Calendar and transfered to the Gregorian Calendar to keep things tidy.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Roland and Rgranger...
Kids at the bus stop in the morning!
Nah!!!! I’ve heard that one before

I’m a father of four… and it was dark when I put my kids on the bus.
The school year calendar is a throwback to an agrarian society. It is time to rethink it. And daylight savings time is was a WW-1 advent to save kerosene.