FIXED,FOLDING or FEATHERING

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We have a fixed two bladed prop that came with the boat, has anyone changed to a two bladed folding prop (gori) or a feathering prop? Since we sail Lake Erie there is no tides or real currents to mess with and we are only very occaisional racers. Thoughts?

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
I'm a former C310 owner so have some thoughts (I had a 3 blade fixed on that boat). I just put on a Flexofold on my new boat after a winter of research. If you haven't done it already submit the questionnaire on the Gori and Flexofold websites and they'll get back to you with a recommendation. Also check with Catalina for their thoughts. I ruled out feathering due to price-double the folders. I chose Flexofold over Gori because it seemed mechanically simpler (I thought Gori's multiple pitch feature might get confusing) and it came out very well on Yachting Monthly's test. Also a bit cheaper which was a bonus. Both props are beautifully made. I definitely do better under sail and have no appreciable difference in reverse over the fixed. Good luck however you go.

Nov 26, 2012
C&C 40-2 Berkeley
I like the folding prop

My Hunter 34 came with a two blade fixed prop. I installed a two blade folding prop and the boat is definitely faster. I was told the folding prop would not provide the power especially in reverse but I have not noticed a problem. Works great in forward and reverse. There are two things you should know:
1. You have to be careful with a folding prop. You cannot shift hard from forward to reverse and back without going to neutral first or you will damage the prop. They are fragile.
2. They vibrate. They will not be very well balanced so they vibrate. This puts extra stress on bearings, etc so if you motor a lot it may not be for you. If you like to race like me and motoring is for getting in and out of the marina then the folding prop is great.