Fixed-blade Replacement For Martec Folder

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Pulled a Martec 2-blade folder off a customer’s Santana 30/30, as it had thrown a blade. Replacement blades are not available. Will replacing the Martec with a fixed-blade model having the same dimensions (RH14X10) provide similar performance under power?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
If the Martec is perfect, the fixed prop will be a smidge “over-propped”. The folders are a little less efficient than a typical fixed blade. May not be noticeable to the owner, depending on boat size/weight. The key would be knowing if the Martec’s pitch is close to ideal.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
If the Martec is perfect, the fixed prop will be a smidge “over-propped”. The folders are a little less efficient than a typical fixed blade. May not be noticeable to the owner, depending on boat size/weight. The key would be knowing if the Martec’s pitch is close to ideal.
The customer claims the boat has been chronically underpowered. So maybe a 14X10 fixed-blade prop will help in that regard. Thanks.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Fast bottoms, a check with Kelsey at WestbyNorth might provide important information to help your client.

Jan 31, 2015
Schock Santana 30/30 Housatonic Boat Club, Stratford
If it helps, I have a 1982 Santana 30-30 with a Martec Eliptic RH 14x14 powered by a Yanmar 2GM20F and it pushes me to hull speed no problem. Martec doesn't refurbish their props anymore? I had mine done in 2016 and was planning on doing it again after this season, so will I be shopping for a replacement instead?

Jan 31, 2015
Schock Santana 30/30 Housatonic Boat Club, Stratford
OK, good to hear. I'm interested to hear what you end up installing for your customer.
Thank you!