Fishing Under Sail

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

david lewis

Who fishes while underway and what techniques do you use for success?? I troll whenever possible and often catch a blue fish here or there. At anchor I catch flounder and scup. What kinds of bait do you use and any other advice will be appreciated. Best regards, dave

B

Brad Baldwin

Fishing

Dave, My kids like to throw out different weight bucktails with a piece of squid as we sail. We've caught a few weakfish and gotten hits from striped bass. Sometimes they hit the bucktails near the surface, sometimes near the bottom, you never know. Good Luck Brad

H

Hayden Watson

cruising world

There was an article about fishing in Cruising World last year.

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Dumb fishing story

Last summer I thought I'd sail out to one of the local islands, dinghy into shore, and throw a fly for a while to see if I could take a striper. Now, this was a bad idea in the first place. My fly rod is a 5wt graphite, and really too light to take an angry striper on anyway. Well, it took me a while to get underway, and my motor was being balky and the wind was from the wrong direction and I realized that the way things were going, I was never going to get to the island I wanted to go to. So I left the dinghy on the mooring and sailed off, resigned to not fishing that day. About a half-hour goes by, and I'm going to sail across a bar that often has good fishing, and the rod is right there, and genius strikes - I'll just troll a bit. So I take the rod out of its tube and assemble it and put the reel on and I look at the transom and realize I have no way to hold it. Then my eye falls on the furling line for my headsail furler. I pull the tail forward, out of the spinlock, and I lash the rod to the rail with it. I tie on what I think is a suitable fly, spool out some line and I'm trolling. I've never been all that good a fly fishing, or stripper fishing, so I was fairly surprised when it did not take long to get a hit, and I was stunned that the hook seemed to set and I had a fish. Which led me to realize that I hadn't thought this through very well. I'm alone, under sail, on a boat without an autopilot, though I do have a friction device on the tiller. I don't have lazy jacks so I can't dump the mainsail, I can't haul in the headsail without risking losing my rod by disturbing my piss-poor lashings, and I'm afraid the fish is going to break my rod in half. I've done enough sport-fishing to be comfortable backing a boat down on a fish, but its hard to do under sail, alone, without someone to handle the rod. Eventually, I managed to more or less heave-to, which allowed the boat to drift downwind, back on the fish. I managed to take in a lot of the line, and finally, the fish freed my fly from the line and took off. The boat wasn't damaged, the rod is ok, and I hope the fish suffered no more than the indignity - I know I did. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

S

Sean

fish story

Quick fish story.......a couple of years ago chartered a 45' Morgan from Miami to Bimini. As we were crossing the Gulf Stream I rigged a couple of ballyhoo and put a nice spread out. About 30 minutes later a blue marlin was smoking on a piece of "sh__" penn with no belt and no chair. We dropped the sails and started the fight.....the rest of the charter was not to happy...4 - 6 foot rollers....with no headway....everybody but me and the Cap. was puking. We fought the fish for about 45 min. to an hour.....had him to the boat several times.....the captain was putting a loop in the main halyard to tail wrap him when the leader broke....Thank God.....my knees were bleeding from the life lines, my knuckles were bruised, and I had a swollen spot in my groin from the rod butt about the size of a baseball... But I would do it again in a heartbeat!!!!!! Bottom line....when chartering in the islands I am always trolling.....you never no what your going to catch for dinner. Sean P.S. I did make the rest of the charter happy when we hit a school of dolphin (mahi) about an hour later and everyone had fresh fish for dinner that night in Cat Key.

A

Alan Liebnick

Fish Story 2

This guy completely outfitted his dinghy with every conceivable fishing equipment. He usually goes out fishing while his wife reads a book in the cockpit of their sail boat. Oneday he decides while anchored offshore by a local beach that he was going tinker on the boat. His wife decided to drift by shore in the dinghy while reading her favorite book. When no sooner comes the harbor patrol that hails and says " Lady , you can't fish here!" She replies, " I'm not fishing, I'm reading." The crew yell back " It appears you have all the equipment, so we'll have to bring you in." She answers " I'll yell rape if come near this boat". The men reply "But we havn't touch you!". Yes,but it appears you have all the equipment. she replied.

M

Mike I.

Trolling

I believe there is an article in Sailing magazine this month.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Bob Bass

No discussion of fishing under sail would be complete without calling attention to photos posted by Bob Bass in the owner photo album. (This is acccessed from the Boat specs section. Look under Passage 450.) Bob had his 450 customized for fishing. Tuna tower and all!

Jun 5, 1997
Coleman scanoe Irwin (ID)
line, hook and sinker! (Ahi Ahi near Vanuatu)

Do we fish??? <http://www.sailboatowners.com/album/display.tpl?fno=0&id=A303573426776> Just to rub it in one more time......... (hope the link still works) Flying Dutchman

Jun 5, 1997
Coleman scanoe Irwin (ID)
Phil, what happened to my ampersand?

The HOW Photo Album link to our ahi ahi catch does not work because your post submission software replaced the ampersand with "and". For those interested, you can make the link work by putting the ampersand sign back in for the "and" sequence. Flying Dutchman

B

Bil Thomas

Sail Fishing

We sail a h33.5 on the Chesapeake Bay and use two methods. We troll with a cuban reel attached to a cleat with a number 1 planner and we also have a couple of deep sea type rods and reels that have mounts on the stern rail. We put the lines out almost as soon as we celar the traffic in the channel. We get something worth eating almost everytime we go. We have been very sucessfull including a 30 and 27 in strippers. You can see our fish at our website: http://www.calypso.com/SailingwithFengShui/index.chtml

M

Mike Kinney

Another fish story

Two years ago I invited a good friend to go on a week-long sail with me up and down the Texas coast. Because he was going to be away from his family over his birthday, I bought him a bottle of single malt scotch as an emotional crutch. We sailed from Matagorda Bay to Galveston Bay and I trailed a lure I purchased at Boat U.S. It's about a six inch long green squid and really has nice action when the boat reaches 6 knots. I caught no fish on the trip to Galveston. On the return trip, I again trailed the artificial lure and as I was putting it out I asked my friend what kind of fish he would like me to catch. "Mahi mahi," he said. "Mahi mahi it is then." Given that I'd never caught a dorado in my life the likelihood I'd fulfill the promise was remote... but, about fifteen minutes later the reel started screeming and I set the hook. There was no wind and we were simply motoring so there were no sails to drop and we simply put the transmission in neutral and started hauling in the fish. I couldn't believe my eyes, it was a dorado. I hauled him aboard and tossed him the cockpit of my 340. He started jumping around spewing little bloody globs of fish snot everywhere. I told my friend, "get me some booze from the cabin, I need subdue this dude." "You're not getting the single malt scotch to kill a fish." "OK, get the Jack Daniels." Now, pouring a glass a Jack Danield for a fish is easy, getting him to drink it in a mannerly fashion is another thing. Finally after about a 15 minute ordeal the fish quietly expired amidst the blood, tangled fishing line, and pools of Jack Daniels. After cleaning the fish, we spent 45 minutes with brushes and the cockpit shower cleaning the cockpit before moving on. The rest of the trip was almost as eventful. We caught five more fish: a blackfin tuna, a baby blue marlin, and three kingfish. Needless to say we turned them all loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.