Fish Traps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Departing Ingram Bay this morning, after a very quiet night anchored behind Sandy Point listening to and watching loons, I saw something I have yet to see here in the bay, fish traps being tended.

I first saw this boat headed in. Just before I took the picture, I saw the bow go down and the crew scramble to the stern to keep it from diving under.

This is a typical Chesapeake Bay deadrise workboat which normally looks like the one in the next picture. It is loaded!

An unloaded boat returning from the trap:

The fish trap with men working the twine from a boat inside and another daringly loaded boat returning from another trap farther out:

I had a nice and brisk sail out to the far side of the ship traffic lanes until the wind went too light for a long dead run. I then ran under power the remainder of the 40 nm to Solomons where I am again tied up at Waterman's Wharf next to the Rachel Carson. I'm going to make two trips on her next week and finally see her handling real oceanographic gear.

Except for some possible daysails and maybe an overnight, I'll be staying here in Solomons until after the annual research vessel operators conference. April 26, I'll be headed north or south depending on the decision about the research vessel project.

Nov 23, 2004
Columbia 8.7 Super wide body Deltaville(Richmond)VA
I watched a deadrise and skiff working traps just off Windmill Point Marina on the Rappahannock last week. My first time as well and been sailing the area for 8 years.

Attachments

Nov 22, 2008
My first time as well and been sailing the area for 8 years.
Maybe there is a revival. I wonder if it has something to do with the cutbacks in the Menhaden catch by the Reedville fleet and a corresponding increase in the cost of crab bait?

elle

Sep 13, 1996
Rhodes 22 Northern Neck of Virginia
Good morning, Roger,

I have been able to observe pound netting fishing at various times, and as as result was able to get some close-up photos. Would you like me to post a few?

elle

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Roger, i emailed Ben from SOS, that you are there. He's getting his boat, Loon, ready for launch at Zahnheisers, so hopefully would offer a ride to the store?

Nov 22, 2008
so hopefully would offer a ride to the store?
Thanks but I'm getting a ride up this morning. I'm tagging along on the supply run for the two trips on the Rachel Carson coming up Monday and Tuesday.

elle

Sep 13, 1996
Rhodes 22 Northern Neck of Virginia
Yes, please do.
Ok, here are a few, taken off Fleeton, near Reedville. I have no idea if they will be large enough to see as I had to 'smallen' them from the 12MB average size. They also appear to have jumbled out of order, but all are numbered. Hopefully the numbers will accompany the photos.

I cropped some photos to remove the fishermen as I do not have a clearance from them to show their likenesses. Sorry for the disembodied hands.

(Edit after post...they really came out small. I hope they are big enough to give a flavor of the work these men do.)

Attachments

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
Roger, you were anchored about a mile from my house which is up Cranes Creek. Glad to have you in our neck of the woods. Yes, we see the pound netters working their traps out there at the mouth of Ingram Bay regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.