first sailing trip (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barry Lenoble

Hello, Yesterday (Sunday) I went sailing for the first time in my 'new' boat (1981 Catalina 22). Luckily for me, a very experienced friend of mine volunteered to sail with me. So, around 1:00 Pm I was in the parking lot in Mt. Sinai (Long Island sound, NY) where we started rigging the boat, etc. Rigging wasn't that hard, easier than the first time I did it, when the boat was at the side of my house. We put up the mast, and put the boom on, but no sails. Next up was launching the boat. I was very nervous, as I have never launched a boat before. Of course there were about 15 people in line behind me, but at least there are 4 ramps there, so I didn't hold too many people up. It was easier than I thought to back the boat into the water. I backed up until the rear wheels of the car were in the water, the exhaust was bubbling, and the front wheels (front wheel drive) were about 1 foot away from the water. Uh oh, the boat is not floating, and will not come off the trailer! I had no idea what to do. My friend, who moors his boat and has no trailering experience, said that people tie a rope to the trailer and to the vehicle and use that the sink the trailer further. So we did that, and the boat eventually floated off the trailer. I retrieved the trailer, hitched it back up and parked everything. Now it was actually time to sail! The outboard started right up, and we motored away from the dock and into the harbor. Mt. Sinai is crowded (at least to me) so I wanted to have room to raise the sails, but my friend suggested we raised them right away. I tried, but I am not good at putting them on and raising them, and it took a while. We eventually got the main raised, but I wanted a lot more room before putting the genoa on. So we motored and sailed into the Long Island Sound, pointed into the wind, and raised the Genoa. Again, I was not good at it, and I had the Halyard twisted here and there, but with my friends help we got it raised all the way. Finally, we were sailing! It was much windier than I hoped, but at least the weather was nice, no rain, storms, or things like that. Just a steady southern wind. With the main and the genoa up, the boat heeled a lot (to me anyway) and I was uncomfortable with the amount of heel, the size of the waves, the humming of the keel, the groaning of the hull, and the entire experience. I admit that I was intimidated. I was steering, my friend was relaxing, and the boat was zipping along. When the wind got stronger I could not hold the tiller and the boat pointed into the wind and straightened up. I think that is a good thing. My friend told me to loosen the main and let it luff, and the boat will also straighten up when the wind gusts. We did a few tacks, the boat responded well, but I was too slow with the jib lines. Anyway, we sailed east for a while, then west. It was still windy so I suggested we full the genoa a little. That helped, and I started to relax and enjoy myself. The boat worked great, much better than I did! To end this way too long story, after tacking into the channel we dropped sail and motored back to the dock. Now the additional fun of trying to put the boat back on the trailer. Again we used the road trick, lowered the trailer, then walked the boat onto the trailer. I was not expecting to have to wade out into waist deep water to tie up the boat, but that's what it took. We got the boat on the trailer (I remembered to raise the keel) and started pulling it out of the water. Then my friend noticed that the keel was not in the bunk, it was off to the side. OK, back into the water, move the boat back, try again. Pull forward. Still not in the bunk. Back into the water. I wade back out, move the boat, be sure to move it again. Pull forward. Now the keel is on the other side! I have had enough and tell my friend to leave it, I will deal with it later. With the boat on the trailer (albiet a little crooked) I dropped the boom (with the main still on) and lowered the mast (left the Genoa on). Got everything tied down and I trailered home. Later, I rinsed everything off, and cleaned out the cabin. Sailing was fun, but I have a lot to learn!!! Comments / Criticisms / Suggestions wanted. Barry

L

Larry Stewart

Good Sail!

Sounds like you are right on track....no safety issues, no one got hurt and you made it back to port. Sounds like a good day of sailing to me! You are in the learning mode like all of us out here...just learn from your experience and have fun sailing! ...Larry...

D

Don Berger

Three things to remember

1. Keep the water out of the boat, 2. Keep the people in the boat, and most important 3. Look good while doing 1 and 2 above. For the first time out, you did great; much better than many horror stories I've heard. Don

B

bryan

trailor?

Sounds like a great day, but I am a bit confused. Did you say you had to disconnect the trailer from the car, then back the boat in, then reconnect the trailer. Maybe a different ramp would be better? It can become dangerous if you disconnect the trailer. For people on shore, and near the boat in the water. You shouldn't have to do that. Do you have a checklist? Like what to rig when? Make sure you have one for the trailer, and boat. Chock your tires, etc. Your off to a good start, you just asked for comments! Good luck!

R

RonD

Learning

Barry Learning about sailing, seamanship, etc. is a life-long process of study and practice. Posting this says that you are committed to a learning process, so you are already many points ahead of the general boating public. Mistakes you can walk away from (and not leave any death & destruction behind) are valuable learning tools. Understand your limits and then prepare yourself to extend them. Having someone more experienced along to guide & teach is great, too -- but remember: it's your boat and you are in command (and held responsible for consequences). Having now summarized those areas of boating where you feel you could use a bit more knowledge, start hitting the books and focus on them: trailering, rigging, raising/lowering sails, handling under way, sail trim, etc. Then get back out and practice. (Backing a vehicle into the water to the point of submerging the exhaust pipe is not a good practice, by the way. Make sure you give your undercarraige & brakes a good rinsedown with plenty of fresh water. Watch for corrosion around your electrical connections, too.) I might suggest that next time you temporarily pick up a mooring to practice raising, dropping, and reefing your sails. That way you won't be in danger of running into anyone. The mooring will hold your bow into the wind, too, easing the process. If you haven't already, I would suggest taking a NASBLA-approved boating course for starters, as it covers many aspects of what you need to know and lays out a foundation for more detailed study. It also qualifies you for any state-required certificates and (often) reduced insurance premiums. The USCG Auxiliary and the US Power Squadron regularly offer these courses and are taught by some very experienced folks. Start building a library; a few suggestions: Chapman's is the classic starter that provides an overall treatment of nautical knowledge -- much breadth but limited depth; Don Guillette's book on Sail Trim (not a classic, yet! but one of the best I've seen) -- offered here on the CatalinaOwners website chandlery; A copy of the COLREGS (USCG COMDTINST M16672.2D "Navigation Rules: International - Inland") Paper charts of your sailing area, at all scales. Subscribe to the USCG Local Notices to Mariners (LNMs), too, to keep them corrected. The US Coast Pilot - Book 2 for your area (published by NOAA). Nigel Calder's books on boat maintenance are classics; Nigel Calders new book on "How to Read a Nautical Chart" is great; Dutton's or Bowditch for Navigation and Piloting (when you are ready); Any of the books on sailboat design (I happen to like "Desirable and Undesirable Characteristics of Offshore Yachts” published by the CCA) etc. Books on weather, marlinspike, etc. Barnes & Noble often has a pretty good sailing selection in their Sports Section. Good luck and happy sailing. --RonD

B

Barry Lenoble

launching the boat

Hello, To launch (and recover) the boat I had to: chock the trailer disconnect the trailer from the car connect a rope from the to the trailer pull forward to take up the slack (about 10' of line) back the car down the ramp while my friend guided the trailer. float the boat off the trailer, and tie to dock pull the car forward enough to get the trailer out of the water and onto dry land chock the trailer wheel back up, remove the rope and reconnect the hitch. If the ramp was steeper I would not have to have done that, but I don't know much about trailering a boat, and about the boat ramps in the area. I saw lots of power boats launched and recovered, but I guess they draw less water than a sailboat (even a swing keel trailerable boat). I can see the attractiveness of a mooring, and getting one is high on my list of priorities. The problem I have is that I don't know where I want the boat. Within 15 minutes of my house there are three harbors on the north shore of Long Island (Stony Brook, Port Jefferson, Mt. Sinai). I can be on the south shore in 30 minutes (Great South bay) and I be in Peconic bay in about 45 minutes. If anyone is familiar with the area I would love to hear suggestions. Thanks, Barry

B

Barry Lenoble

Thanks

hi Ron, Thanks for your comments. I know I have a lot to learn, and I am open to advice. I have bought a number of books and I am studying them. I plan on taking a sailing lesson this week, and sailing with my friend on his boat as well. I was definately eager to get on the water with MY boat, and that caused many of my problems. Now that I got that out of the way (and learned my lesson) I will go slower and be more careful. Regarding the trailer, I guess I will have to use the rope method. I do want a mooring, but see my other response towards that. I did wash the car (including the underside) and I rinsed off the boat, trailer, trailer brakes, etc. Thanks again, Barry

J

Joe Barrett

Extend the Trailer?

I think there are extensions you can get for the trailer. The rope method is eventually going to fail. Might work going in the water, but most certainly will fail sometime taking the boat out with all the weight. Also the depth of the water, was it high tide when you launched? If not check the tides before you go, if it was look for a launch with deeper water! Rig the sails, mast and boom before approaching the ramp, beware of overhead power lines! That way your ready to go when the boat hits the water. After your first really succesful launch and retrieval on a busy Sunday afternoon, grab a bench by the ramp, grab a cold beer and watch as husband and wifes retrieve their boats. Your sides will split from all the laughter!

R

richard

TRAILER EXTENSION

25 years ago when I had a Catalina 22 with the swing keel we had a trailer with a built in device that could extend the trailer by about 10 to feet. As I recall the trailer was made by Trail-Rite trailers in Santa Ana California. I would imagine other Catalina 22 owners should be able to help with this. I can't imagine launching, or retrieving,that boat without an extendable trailer. We had a lot of fun on that boat and learned a ton about sailing! Keep at it.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
C22 First Sails

Barry Sounds like you did pretty well. When we first got our C22 in 1983, we trailered it up to the Sacramento River Delta in Northern California. We found a small harbor tucked behind an island off the San Joaquin River that had a boat ramp. It seemed to take forever to get the mast up and the boat ready to put in. We had a trailer tongue extender, so didn’t have to worry about getting the car too wet. Once we got the sails on and were ready to go, we motored out into the river and winds in the low to mid 20’s. We’d located our ice chest “cleverly” below the tiller, figuring this would keep the tiller from dropping too low in the cockpit, and make it easier to handle. Turns out that once we were running upriver and upwind, the moment arm of the tiller on the top of the ice chest lifted the pintles out of the gudgeons, and the tiller and rudder just flew off the boat! I did an emergency engine start, and flew off the sheets, heading back down river and into the teeth of the wind. The flexibility of the motor adjustment angle allowed us to retrieve the rudder and tiller (which thankfully floated), but it was difficult at best, with the howling wind and noisy flogging sails. In order to get ourselves back together, we motored into a side channel, because it was too rough out in the river to get the rudder reinstalled, as it was so heavy. We sidled up next to an empty side tie dock, when we heard a THWANG!!!! We looked aloft and found that our port shroud had gotten caught in the metal roof of the shed next to the dock. By slowly rocking the boat back and forth, against the current and wind, we managed to extricate the shroud from the building roof. We put the rudder back on, put the ice chest down below, and took off again. We finally found a peaceful section of river that was behind a levee with flat water running perpendicular to the wind. We tied the bow line up to a telephone pole that was stuck about three feet off the shoreline, and finally relaxed. We’ve been back to that same anchorage place many times, in our C25, and plan someday soon to bring our C34 up that way again. It was a wild first day, we learned a lot, and are still enjoying sailing. Sounds like you are, too. Stu

J

John Dawson

more trailers

We found it pretty hard to center the keel on our Mac-22 until we realized the stern wasn't where the weight was. Now if there are two guys, we just grab the transom and heft it around until its on its rubber. This may not work as well with a Cat-22, since the bunks are not so flat and low. As for launching, I would take the liberty of referring you to a post in the archives from Chip Giles on 2/6 about trailer extensions.

B

Bob

No holes in the boat

or the crew, so "ya done good, boy!" I used the rope launch/retrieval method for many years - it works fine, just make sure your line is strong enough and is always tied off to the tow vehicle. Also, at an unfamiliar ramp, try hard to determine where the end of the ramp is (under water) and don't let the trailer wheel(s) go past that point, or they can drop off and hang up on the ramp and it can be a bear to get the trailer out, even unloaded. A tongue extender will make life a lot easier - I use a cut down treated 4x4 with a hitch on one end and two holes for through-bolts on the other. Works fine. You need to buy some "boat guides" - vertical posts bolted to the trailer that you can adjust to the width of your boat and that hold the stern in just the right location to line up the keel. Immersing any part of a car in salt water is a BAD THING, no matter how much rinsing you do. So is submerging the exhaust - if it quits, you might not get it restarted. Check to see if the ramp is wet and/or slick - I've seen guys smoking their tires in terror as they played tug-a-war with a heavy load up a wet ramp. Make sure fenders are attached before she goes in the water. You probably have your toughest launch behind you, and soon will be showing others how to do it.

B

Bob

As they say down under No Worries Mate!

Barry You did just fine on the long road to learning EVERYTHING there is to know about the fine art of sailing. I too am new at this game and have A LOT to learn. This forum has proven to be a great place to get valuable information. Keep your bottom wet, your sails trimmed, and your mind open. Make sailing as FUN as it is supposed to be. Bob SV Miss Lisa

M

mike

good job

I just got my boat last year and had many of the same problems. It gets much easier after you launch a few times. With me and another person we can get from in the water with rig up in about 40 min. I would suggest getting a hitch extention. Made my life much easier. I got mine from a place called extend-a-hitch. you can find it on the web. Just remember take you time and have fun. Most of the bad things happen when you rush!

M

mark

on the trailer

You may want to try getting some 'posts' - plastic pipe or something similar -- to mark the back corners of your trailer. THe pipe should be tall enough so that you can slide the sailboat between the pipes. I sould suggest mounting them while the boat is on the trailer and leave as little room between the side of the boat hull and the plastic pipes. That way, when you snug the boat up to the winch handle assembly, you simply have to center the boat between the two posts. You could also add some skid pads on the trailer -- boards with astro-turf carpet on them - to insure that the boat slide down into the keel support. That is what we did with our McGregor Venture 21 -- these methods seem to sork well. Good luck and happy sailing.

M

Mike

Me Too!

Thanks Barry! I enjoyed the story. I also have a new 1981 22 Cat that I bought last month but I have not had time to sail yet! Soon...I will sail also! Mike

W

Warren

Check The Keel!

Before you launch the boat, make sure the keel is cranked up all the way. Sounds like it was hung-up on the keel your first time out.

Status
Not open for further replies.