First boat size? for sailing convert

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Geo

My growing family of four is interested in buying a sailboat, but I'm concerned with buying one the right size. Our cruising area would be eastern Long Island Sound, Block Island and points between. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew but I also can't afford to be buying two or three boats over two to three years. We have run smaller powerboats over the years, but feel that 24' is just too small. Would a 32' sloop be too large a boat to start? Any advice would be appreciated.

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Right size...

I sailed in your waters for years in a 33', and I don't think a 32' would be at all "too large" for your family. (I assume you have adequate sailing experience in smaller boats to to build on?)

D

Dick Vance

You'll Be Surprised

Geo, You will be pleased that you bought the bigger boat after you get used to it.! You didn't mention the extent of your sailing experience but the skills and principles for sailing a 24' boat are the same as for a 32'. The systems may be different and a bit more complex but thats just part of the learning process. It never made sense to me to buy a smaller boat to learn on and then have to turn around and sell or trade it in 6 months when it won't meet your needs. The only exception would be for someone who has never sailed and want to find out if sailing if for them without shelling out big bucks. If you are concerned about your skill level, take a course, such as the ASA or USSailing coastal cruising courses and try to crew with someone else until you are comfortable with your own abilities. With a family of 4, you will be able to enjoy the extra room, comfort and seaworthiness of the bigger boat. As a point of reference, several years ago, I bought my first boat, a 20', with no previous sailing experience. A few months later I took a week-long coastal cruising and bareboat certification course aboard a 39' boat. By the end of the week the 39' didn't seem too big at all! I then sold the 20' and bought my 25.5 which was the right size for our lake but occasionally take off for charter on much bigger boats. Dick Vance H-25.5 "Honey Bear"

S

SteveC

My first sailboat was a 30'..

for my wife & I. Was the right size. You learn as you go. 6 Years later moved up to a 37 which is still right for us(13 years later).

M

Mike

Go for it

Go for the 32'! If you have a family and you want to cruise, you'll be confined in the smaller boat. The big boat sails much better anyway. You'll be surprised at how easy it is to sail the 32'!

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Catalina 30s are nice

If you don't want to shell out the big bucks for a newer boat, Catalina 30s are the biggest "small" boats I've ever seen. Check some out, you'll be surprised at the room, and they're MUCH easier on the wallet! LaDonna

G

Greg Wynne

Been there...

We just went through the same thing. With little sailing experience, me and my wife decided on a Catalina 320 as our first boat. We took delivery of it this weekend. My advice: Have someone teach you how to dock the darn thing! 12,000 lbs of boat will go anywhere it darn well pleases, until you learn how to finesse it. (I'm still working on that)The sailing part you can learn without subjecting the boat to too much harm. (I hope) We love our boat, and also can't wait to move up in the next few years. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

J

Jim

Go for 30 footer or more...

My first boat was a 25 footer and we were very cramped for long weekends with a growing family of four. While everyone has their preferences, its my sense that you either go for a day sailer in the 18 to 22 foot range or go for a cruiser at 30 feet or more. Anything in between is too small for cruising and bigger than you need for daysailing. AS others have mentioned here, the Catalina 30s are very nicely proportioned and well layed out for their size. I just picked up an O'Day 30 which has great space on it as well. Good luck... Jim

J

Jim Cook

Helpful Hint for new boat owners.

Having just bought my 1st boat, I have learned about West Marine's "New Boat Owner's Card". For about 2+ weeks, you can buy anything in the store at wholesale (their cost). I have saved a BUNDLE!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.