First 21.7 shrouds

Oct 20, 2019
Beneteau 21.7 Loch Earn Sailing Club
Hi All,

On the first 21.7 and all its predecessors can anyone confirm whether the upper shrouds should be clamped tight as they pass through the spreaders or whether they should be free to slide inside the spreader ends.

There is much debate on this matter at the sailing club !

Thanks for looking

Oct 20, 2019
Beneteau 21.7 Loch Earn Sailing Club
Ron, thanks for that. I don’t suppose a tuning guide exists over in the states as you gentlemen seem to have a better grip on such matters ?

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Let 'em slide.
Why?

Mine are tight on my 235 and other boats that you can tighten as well. Have seen many a "sliding" spreaders pointed down at our club, especially with the Capri 25's. Not my idea of a good thing, tends to reverse the geometry and then things break. Would really like to hear why they should be loose, instead of just a quick comment.

Spreader.jpg

Last edited:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Shrouds need to be clamped to the ends or the tension will pull the ends of the spreaders downward.
Theoretically, the spreader should bisect the angle between the segment above and the segment below the spreader.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Clamped. There may have been a debate in the 1970s, but that has long since passed. Every rigger will tell you this, along with every modern rigging guide. Like Seldens'.

spreaders.jpg