Fire Onboard A Must Read

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul Schumacher

Our recent engine comparatment fire was traced to a faulty electrical harness that links the cockpit control panel to the engine (starter motor, alternator and guages). The Catalina folks deny any knowledge of an electrical harness problem but the company that makes the harness for Catalina (Seaward Products, Inc. @ 562-699-7997 X 218, Lonnie or Chico) did acknowledge a problem with the origianl harness and offers a replacement harness at a very modest price. Now it gets interesting. My 1992 Cat 34 is insured through Boat US and they've been very cooperative. Boat US has a person that investigates problems with boats and had not heard of this problem. However, since my claim was filed on Monday 6/19, two more Catalina owners have reported the exact same fire. Boat US is going to contact Catalina to be sure they acknowledge the problem and seek some sort of remedy. I was lucky in that the fire started moments before returning to port. Others may not be so lucky. The fire destroyed the starter, alternator, a wire harness and I believe some of my BandG nav gear. The greatest repair cost is not going to be the parts but the repair labor. The greatest heart ache is loosing the boat for a few weeks during our short summer. Be advised.

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Phew -

Paul, I'm sorry to hear that Catalina is not behaving for you. I assume you've gone to the top? Three owners makes a class you know. Good luck - Justin - O'day Owner's

Status
Not open for further replies.