Finding Stuff After Re-buying Stuff

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Man, I'm so pissed! I decided to grease my MaxProp before launch, and even decided to use the 'recommended' grease, Lubriplate 130-AA. I had a mini grease gun and a couple of 10 oz. tubes of grease, and the Zerk fitting, but in the move I just couldn't find it. So, I bought a new mini grease gun, new Zerk, and a 16 oz. tub of grease. I carefully emptied a 3 oz. grease cartridge, cleaned it, and filled it with 130-AA. Greased the prop. Worked great. Got home, and thought, wow, it's a nice day, I should do some yard work. Go into the garage to get some yard tools and what do I find? Yes, the previous MawProp greasing kit I had put together. Damn! Doesn't that just frost you? Well, at least now I have a lifetime supply of 130-AA.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Never fails!

I search and search for a tool or part I KNOW I have…I remember seeing it recently.…not I cannot find it.

Then a day after I buy a new one, it just reappears!

I figured it was a symptom of getting old ;)

Greg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
So, now I own three mini grease guns, and one big one. I don't know where the big one and one of the mini ones might be, due to the move. So, the two loaded with Lubriplate 130-AA, specifically for the MaxProp - where should I put them? If I put them together, if one's lost, both are lost. Should I just keep one kit in my car? In the garage? Man, this stuff is driving me crazy. In addition, I'm sure I have extra zincs for that prop, I just don't know where I put them. :)

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Keep that stuff on the boat.:beer:
Well, here's the thing. When I grease the prop the boat is on the hard, and I don't know if I'm going to be able to find a ladder when I get to the boatyard to do it.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
So, now I own three mini grease guns, and one big one. I don't know where the big one and one of the mini ones might be, due to the move. So, the two loaded with Lubriplate 130-AA, specifically for the MaxProp - where should I put them? If I put them together, if one's lost, both are lost. Should I just keep one kit in my car? In the garage? Man, this stuff is driving me crazy. In addition, I'm sure I have extra zincs for that prop, I just don't know where I put them. :)
One on the boat, one in the garage, one in the shed? Lawn tractor will need greasing!

Otherwise, eBay, FB Marketplace or Next Door could be your friend;)

Greg

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Whenever I cannot find something I have been looking for and finally find it (or buy a new one) I put it in the first place I started looking for it. I figure if I looked for it there last time, I may just start there next time.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Well, here's the thing. When I grease the prop the boat is on the hard, and I don't know if I'm going to be able to find a ladder when I get to the boatyard to do it.
Now you made it simple, keep it with the ladder.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Now you made it simple, keep it with the ladder.
Ha! Good idea.

I usually try to find a ladder down there, I've had two "permanently borrowed" so far. And, since I got rid of the SUV and got a Honda Crosstour, carrying a big enough ladder is an issue. I guess I could get one that folds enough to fit inside the car with the rear seats folded down.

Before I moved I had a "boat shelf" in the garage, where I kept things coming form and going to the boat. I should implement that here.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I learned early on that it's best to order stuff with just enough time to order another one should the first order get messed up. If I order something months in advance it's most likely going to get lost and its warranty will expire sooner

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
See lot's of guys using these:

14 ft. Reach, Type I, 250 lb. Portable Telescoping Ladder (harborfreight.com)

Not certain I'd want the Harbor Freight one. Not for any particular reason they are probably fine for casual use and much of their stuff has gotten better. Just their image I guess.
That's cool, thanks. Now that I'm at the age where I don't want to use my big, commercial extension ladders, ladder jacks, platform, etc., I will sell them. I just might get one of those telescoping ladders to replace them!