Finding cabin leaks with pressure?

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 33 salem
Has anyone pressured up the cabin to find deck leaks? how did this go?

Any suggestions ?

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
In my industry we do blower door testing on houses and buildings and duct testing on HVAC ductwork. I am sure you could same thing on a sailboat.

It is going to be pricey, I would guess $1250 to $2000 per day.

Residential Duct Leakage Test overview

Blower Door Testing

To purchase the equipment and start your own side business that will run you $5000 to $8000

Retrotec Blower Door Test Equipment | Duct Testing Equipment

I travel if the price and perks are right.

Last edited:
May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Seal the companionway with a piece of plastic with a hole in it to accept the nozzle of a leaf blower. Have a friend apply soapy water around the areas where you suspect a leak. You'll see bubbles where the leaks are.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
You also need to soap down the deck so that escaping air will show bubbles.

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 376 Tarrytown
Question was "Has anyone pressured up the cabin to find deck leaks? how did this go? "
Short answer is "Yes"

I have been wrestling at least one (likely more) cabin leaks on Hunter 376.
After picking the brains of my dockmates and swarthy veterans, went about trying to seal and pressurize the cabin to locate the leak.
The theory sounded plausible.
I bought rolls of paint tarp with factory masking tape edge. Shop vac, hoses, liquid soap, atomizer.

"how did this go?": badly
I burned at least two days and learned absolutely nothing. I remember it took hours and hours to seal the companionway. Then awkwardly climbed out the foredeck hatch for the first time.
Out of frustration, I divided the boat into thirds at the bulkheads and was eager to perform a proof of concept. By then, I just wanted to validate if the method had any merit. My optimistic imagination, played a video with a lively
stream of soap bubble broadcasting a corroded canvas snap. Hah. Field of dreams.
Even the section with the least number of penetrations and logically, easiest to seal, still did not provide any useful information.
Perhaps it might be possible to seal a really simple day sailor. That is, a boat that does not feature a head liner, and maybe only a single hatch.
On my cruising boat, there were just too many pathways.