Finally, on the water

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
I finally got my new 170 into the water yesterday afternoon. It's a fun boat! It only took us about 30 minutes to setup and launch. That went really smooth. The wife and I looked a little unorganized once we got out in the water though. :) The wind was variable 12-19mph and all day long small storm clouds formed & blew away. Every now and then we would get a sprinkle while the sun was shining. It was kind of an unstable weather day. We were only out a couple hours but, I think it sailed pretty well. I have a couple of things to work on now too. My center board sticks when it's in the up position. I had a hard time getting it to free up when putting down and I had to crawl under the trailer to push it up far enough to not hit the trailer. Shouldn't be too hard to resolve. The other thing is keeping the motor tight. I'm using a Minkota 46. It has a composite mount. The mylar Hunter mount it pretty slippery with the Minkota mounted. If the motor is turned left or right in 5th speed, it will slip on the motor mount. It seems to work best locked in the straight forward position and then use the tiller for direction instead of both (less confusing too). It will be easier the next time. In fact today is looking pretty good right now. Anybody else with a new boat story? How about a first sail of the year story?

B

Brian

Pictures

Check out our clubs web page for pictures of our sailing. Most recently we all met at Mission Bay, CA with our Hunter Day sailors. Brian

P

phil

foaming mast

I believe someone in S CA was going to check on foaming the mast... was it you or someone in your club? any new info? phil

B

Brian

Mast foaming

Yes, some of us have foamed our masts. However, we have not yet had a capsize to see if the concept works. We will have to do a capsize drill when the water warms up. Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.