Finally got it working! The autohelm nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Alright....after a long time and a lot of work, I finally got the autohelm working. Here is a brief review of my horror story. Bought a new Raymarine autohelm. Took it to a local marina to install it. They said that they would be reasonable but I ended up paying $1300 for the install (only paid $1200 for the unit). The autohelm still didn't work. Finally got ahold or Raymarine. Their suggestion didn't work. Got ahold of them again. They told me that the unit had a problem with it from the factory and I needed to send it in. Spent $20 to ship and insure autohelm and then got a call from the factor. The tech was hard to understand (he had a far eastern accent). The tech said that there was nothing wrong with my unit. I told him what the other raymarine tech said and he laughed and said that I got bad advice. The tech told me to reverse the motor wires and it should work (and laughed again). Got the computer back and re-installed it. Reversed the motor wires and it worked. Anyway, I made it steer the boat for 7 hours this past weekend and it worked fine. I am still agrivated over the whole thing and I wouldn't mind making the two Raymarine techs walk the plank! If anyone is going to buy a Raymarine ST1 for their boat I can go and get some pictures of it. I won't make it to my boat until the middle of next week (at the earliest) but if anyone is interested I will try to get the pictures.

D

Dave

How About The Boat Yard

It sounds like the boat yard failed to install the product correctly. How about making them walk the plank versus Raymarine? PS: I dislike Raymarine as well. I had them change the battery on my Raychart 425 and they loaded the latest software and now the thing locks up on a regular basis. Oh well lots of choices next time (Garmin, Simrad, etc, etc).

JIM B

Jun 27, 2006
Catalina 30 MKII ROOSEVELT AZ
AUTOHELM VS SIMRAD

I HAVE FOLLOWED YOUR SAGA WITH THE AUTO PILOT. I ALSO MADE THE MISTAKE OF BUYING THE RAYMARINE S1. AFTER MUCH TIME AND EFFORT I DECIDED I WAS NOT GOING TO CUT OUT PIECES OF THE BOAT. INSTEAD I BOUGHT A SIMRAD WP32 AUTO PILOT ($800). IT TOOK ABOUT 2 BEERS TO INSTALL IT AND I AM QUITE SATISFIED. NOW I HAVE A NEVER USED S1 TO PUT ON EBAY. AT LEAST I WILL BE SAILING INSTEAD OF GOOFING WITH IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.