Finally bought the 'First' boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Walters

Good Sailing!!! I've finally bought my sailboat. After pining for a boat for nearly 20 years, I put the pieces together last weekend and bought a beautiful First 235. Admittedly, It is not as big as the boat I had originally envisioned when I first subscribed to Sail magazine in 1984 (and have been a faithful subscriber since), but things change and I have found it best to change with them. I have been keeping up with most the articles specific to the 235 for the last 4 months and had decided this was the model for us (wife and 2 yr old included) based on its trailerability, fixed keel, accomodations, and Beneteau's outstanding reputation for quality. Based on what I found in a tour of my new boat, I will not be disappointed in that quality. She has been lovingly cared for and is the cleanest 12 year old I have had the pleasure of being aboard. To say I cannot wait until spring, is a massive understatement. Now to the question: I have been reading up on this model but am interested in anything other owners may have to say about this model regarding problems, accolades -- anything. Please feel free to e-mail me at Waltersofbayport@yahoo.com or just respond to this thread. See you on the water, I'll be the guy in the little boat with a grin visible for miles.

B

Brian Pickton

Hey, Congratulations!

Nov.8, 2000 Hey David, Congratulations on taking the great leap forward that will finally get you on the water, and welcome to the Beneteau family. Your going to find that trailer sailing can be a heck of a lot of fun, getting you to some of the finest waters around quickly and efficently. Friends of mine who trailer sail even sleep in their boat in campgrounds and use the tow vehicle as a supply base. Seems to me there's a web site for trailer sailors out there, and if you want to see what some folks have done on a small boat check out 'The Voyage of the Bellatrix " site. The other great thing your going to find is that cruising isn't a place, it's a state of mind. Too bad you have to wait for spring to take the stiffness out of the water, but I can relate: in Alberta all of the lakes were frozen by the end of October at the latest. Makes you want to put that puppy on the trailer and get to Florida for Christmas sailing, doesn't it? In the meantime get yourself a cheeseburger and a margarita, sit in the cockpit on the trailer, put on some Jimmy Buffet and enjoy. I'll be looking for that smile coming over the horizon! Brian Pickton aboard the Legend, Rodney Bay, St. Lucia ,

Status
Not open for further replies.