Finally added diesel fuel level gauge - Classic 26 (Classic Yachts Chanute)

Jun 25, 2018
Classic Yachts Chanute Classic 26 Folsom Lake
After 21 years, pulled the small 5 Gal diesel tank for the 1GM10 to clean out any sediment. Surprisingly relatively clean.

The engine sees frequent short and variable runs as a lake sailer & estimating fuel level was semi accurate. The deck filler hose has an S-bend and can’t easily be probed. Risk of overfilling and the Davis spill guard was nominal in catching overflow dribbles.

A conventional 5-hole top mount resistor sensor w/gasket would eventually leak and would require significant welding for a cylindrical tank. The tank is difficult to access for any service. I used an aircraft fuel level "pressure" sensor from Radiant Instruments thru Aircraft Spruce; it comes with a calibrator box for 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 4/4 full. So it accommodates round or wedge shaped tanks, unlike a pure level sensor. The 1/8” NPT bung for the sensor is TIG welded a bit above the bottom of the stainless tank (leaving some fudge for unplanned reserve). Yes, tank was washed, full of water and remainder backpurged with argon. The sensor outputs a 0 - 5 volt output (J1939). A VDO SingleViu Fuel-Level or DEF-Level gauge works fine. VDO makes a sealed marine fuel gauge too for outside use.

I also added a cheap,fluid detection sensor on the vent hose, ~6” above the tank. Lots of choices on Amazon. When it detects liquid, it actives a small red buzzer; so, no more putting my ear to the deck fill listening for whistles and pitch changes when filling up.

Attachments

Last edited:

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
very interesting projects , thanks for posting. i just bought a 2004 horizon cat to redo. it also has yan 1GM , which i'll have to do major maintenance on. pulling the whole diesel tank and taking it to a shop for cleaning makes more sense than my trying to clean it in place (especially w a broken wrist from tripping over my frisky little rescue puppy..)

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
How do you like your classic 26? I have a 36 Laguna. Same hull as yours. I haven't gotten mine on the water quite yet.

Jun 25, 2018
Classic Yachts Chanute Classic 26 Folsom Lake
How do you like your classic 26? I have a 36 Laguna. Same hull as yours. I haven't gotten mine on the water quite yet.
It’s been a great lake boat. I have the later deck design. I spec’d & bought it from Classic Yachts about 1 year before they closed after a fire. They did redesign the interior layout mold. Redid the standing rigging last year and converted to outboard chainplates...no more leaks. Chainplates were plunged thru the teak toe rails & near impossible to keep sealed.

Sailing-wise, it has a high freeboard and a high cockpit seating which does impact sailing in heavy winds. The best mod was the IDA/Ruddercraft rudder with a true NACA foil. Much more comfortable 15+ knots of wind.

FE1A5948-71DE-434A-BFF2-77CBBE8F87F3.jpeg