fin or wing-----------

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gary Jensen

On the West coast the preference is fin keels but the explanation is kind of weak. On the East coast is seems that the wing(shallow draft) is preferred. The easterners that I have discussed it with say its because of the abundance of shallow waters.(plausable) I just bought a wing keel 380 on the West coast for an excellent price. If it does not point acceptably I'll get the factory fin and re-attach it. Has anyone sailed each type and really noticed any major difference???? Thanks

P

patrick boole

tried it

i went through the same pains you are going through. i bought a 30 with wing keel and asked around like you. such a negative response from all concerned. made my purchase harder having to sort out fact from fiction. i ended up buying the 30 with wing keel and i couldn't be happier. haven't noticed the pointing problem and if anything i would have to say it points as well as my 27. i am glad that i relied on my own conviction instead of listening to a multiltude of opinons that were not based on fact. so much of what we repeat back to people is based on someones opinon that we are repeating. good luck. i am also in ca.

G

Gene Foraker

No doubt that wing is a compromise

I've had a fin keel 30 and now a wing keel 36 and the choice was made only because of the shallow waters I sail in. There's no doubt that the wing is a compromise. Not all that much, but still a compromise. It all depends on how deep ar the harbors, marinas, coves, and anchorages you use. I don't know if there is much difference in "pointing" but there is a difference in "leeway" as a wing has less lateral resistance and will fall off more to lee. The wing keel weighs much more and ask your racing friends what that means to boat speed in light air. If you do have a grounding in mud or sand, the wing will be much harder to get off. All of these things are slight and if you need the shallow draft like I do, then you'll hardly notice it. Maybe the deep draft would have been a better choice for you, but I doubt that paying for a keel change is worthwhile now. Congratulations on the purchase and now go out and enjoy yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.