Fibreglass Holding Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hermann

I've been searching the archieves for an answer, but didn't find one. It was mentioned that some Hunters had a build-in fibreglass holding tank . I a post Peggy had said that any odor is most likely not the result of the tank. I want to build my own fibreglass tank. I've really found no pros or cons to a fibreglass tank.

P

Peter

Fiberglass

i did a search under" fiberglass holding', and there was a lot of discussion and comments. It seems like the problem might be that although the tank itself may not leak, "liquid" may permeate the glass itself resulting in a stinky mess. But I don't have a glass holding tank, didn't think it would be worth the hassle.

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

Plastic is a much better choice

Fiberglass weighs considerably more, and anything that can happen to fiberglass anywhere else in a boat--blisters, cracks, rot etc--can happen to a fiberglass tank. Since it almost always starts inside the tank it's not likely to be noticed until enough damage has occurred to make it noticeable outside the tank. Building a fiberglass tank will cost about the same--considerably more if you consider your time to be worth anything--as a good quality plastic tank. The only upside I know of is that a crack or other leak in a fiberglass can be repaired, polyethylene cannot. No matter what the tank is made of, it won't prevent or cure odor inside the boat OR out the tank vent line.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Have not had any problems with ours.

Hermann: We have had the integrated fiberglass tanks in our boat for 15+ years. We have not had any problems with the tanks. The water tank was leaking through the lid. I removed the lid and resealed the tank. Our tanks have a gel coat interior too. I do not know if you want to get that involved with the interior finish. One advantage to fiberglass is that it CAN be built and repaired by an amature. Is there a reason that you do not want a poly tank?

H

Hermann

Configuration and cost

Thanks everyone for your input. In order to get about 30 gallons of storage I would need to buy a tank that costs about $200 US. I'm in Canada so that is about $300 add another $50 for shipping and it gets rather expensive. The material to make the fibreglass tank will cost me about $100. I'm retired, so time isn't an issue. I don't race, so weight isn't an issue.

D

Dave Mauney

Uni-Weld FiberFlex

A while back I ran into a company, Urethane Supply Company (Link below) , that clam they have a technique and materials for repair of Poly tanks. I wondered if there was any experience with this as I have a crack in the top of a water tank and I will have to cut it up to get it out. Good Winds, Dave s/v DAMWEGAS

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

Checked the website you provided

and did a search using the keyword polyethylene. The only thing that came up was was a selection of poly rods to be used with a heat welder, which takes considerably more skill to use than most people think...'cuz it's not just a matter of melting new poly into the crack...the edges of the crack also have to melted so that the new and old material blend together to become a single mass. The skill is in knowing how much of each to melt to get a weld that will be strong enough not to pull apart again under the stress that cracked the tank in the first place without weakening the tank wall and causing a new crack. It can be done, but you'd have to get the tank out to take it to plastics shop that can do it.

H

Hermann

Found a tank

Managed to find a tank for $200 Canadian. Definitely not worth my while to try and build one. Thanks to everyone for their input.

R

richard

poly tank repair

I have a friend who has been successful with using the poly tank heat "welder". He rented it and repaired the holding tank on his motor home with the tank in place. He is a capable, handy kind of guy but it didn't look that difficult. Just have to be careful not to melt the whole works. Good luck!

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

Get back to us again after a year or two

Assuming that his RV doesn't just sit in his driveway the whole time. If the weld was really successful, it'll still be holding after several thousand miles of bumping along life's highways and byways...the equivalent of a season or two of choppy seas and a few hard landings at the dock. It's worth the risk in a water tank--and even a waste tank on an RV, since the worst thing that can happen is a smelly wet spot on the ground. But when it comes to a waste tank on a boat, 'tis better to err on the side of caution and replace the tank IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.