FEEDBACK - Thoughts on refinishing sole on 1997 Beneteau

jpeac2

Feb 9, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Belmont Harbor
Hey Everyone-

Have some spare time and am weighing pulling all the sole out and refinishing it. It seems to be some sort of a plywood with veneer on top.

The sole itself has seen its share of wear and tear but for most areas no major water damage.

In one of the berth closets there was a leaky portlight one winter/spring that tore up the shelves.

Was thinking about trying to start with a heat gun and a scraping tool to see what I can pull off. Is this the right move? Or should I use some sort of chemical to strip it all? What chemical woul you all suggest?

With the veneer I am trying to minimize the amount of sanding to preserve the what is left.

Would love your thoughts. Attaching some pictures. Will take one of the thickness of the veneer later this

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
How is the cabin sole attached to pan? Trying to remove it without destroying may be a challenge. Just refinish it in place.

Heat and a very sharp scraper are a time honored method of removing varnish. My favorite scrapers are these, with 3 working edges sharpening is less frequent and the handles are hand friendly.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I've seen worse. Hell, I had worse!
But, as they say, "That'll buff right out" :biggrin:

Seriously, Unless you are a sloppy varnish-er, I'd re-finish the sole in place.
You should get a new roll of good painter's tape and use it liberally.
You might want to use some diluted oxalic acid (drug store) for the worst discoloration first before you start sanding, it's mighty thin veneer.
The fumes can be a problem. Use a respirator. A fan will just blow debris all over your new finish.
Oh, BTW, plan for your exit if you do the job in situ!

Have I talked you into removing the sole yet? :kick:

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Have I talked you into removing the sole yet?
Been there, done that. Please do let him talk you into removal. If the factory plugged all the screws, put it back with flush-mount screws. Make it easy to remove the next time.

jpeac2

Feb 9, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Belmont Harbor
Thanks for the responses!

Actually almost all of the boards come out fairly easily. There may be 1 board I have to do in place.

Jul 30, 2018
Beneteau 321 Tawas MI
We have a 321 and I’m also considering this. I’m actually leaning a different route though and thinking I’ll do Nautikfloor for speed and simplicity.

• Wow
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If the floor boards come out easily, take them home, put the on saw horses and work them there. My Hunter 280 had screws holding the sole in place, and I removed the sections over the winter and refinished them in the warmth of my basement!

My O’Day 322 had the sole replaced by a PO, and it appears to be glued down, so if/when it needs to be refinished, I will be forced to do it in situ..

That means doing it during sailing season :banghead:

Greg